PDA

View Full Version : Tips for web designers

Slick Design
01-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi,

Thought I’d give a few tips on promoting web design businesses, hopefully they will be useful.

1) Even one-man bands doing business from their bedrooms should refer to themselves as ‘we’. For example “we have vast experience of designing cost effective yet attractive websites”. This obviously sounds a lot better than “I design websites in my bedroom and usually finish projects quickly unless I’ve got loads of homework to do”.

2) The best way to gain business is to claim you can do everything. Browse freelance websites and bid on projects, which would cost thousands ordinarily. Make sure you’re bid is in the £50 - £85 range and you have hooked the client. Warning - Due to the reasonable price you are offering the clients may assume you are based in India.

3) Another good marketing tactic is to browse this forum and offer free websites to people, claim you are building your portfolio up but don’t actually ever build any free websites. The aim of this exercise is to hopefully persuade a few people into paying for your services because the offer has had a “full take up”. The next step is to inform them that although you can’t fit in any more free websites you DO offer very reasonable prices.

4) Logo design is a growth industry and anyone can do it. Most logos are just a coloured box with the name of the company in Arial font so offer these services.

5) If you’re a web designer who doesn’t know how to make a simple contact/feedback form (I can, I promise) then by all means ask a professional designer for advice on these forums. If you can’t master it don’t worry, as most people don’t want contact forms anyway, mailto: is just as effective.

6) The average age of a web designer is actually 11 so expensive software like dreamweaver is impractical. I personally recommend Cool Page for those on a budget. MS Word is also a good solid piece of software for adolescent web designers.

onlinkmedia
01-07-2005, 07:13 PM
That post does seem to give young designers a bad name (I'm a young designer!). I learnt to hand code HTML, bought Flash MX 2004 and paid it off with work I've done. I'm sure theres other young designers out there in a similar position to me, so don't just say "MS Word is also a good solid piece of software for adolescent web designers", because some of us do it properly.

Sorry if that sounded harsh but it does my head in when we get tarred with the same brush.

totallydavid
01-07-2005, 08:20 PM
I think this is a joke post, or at least hope it is.

Mental note: Don't use any company called "Slick Design"

openmind
01-07-2005, 08:25 PM
This is a joke post and to be totally truthful the joke is wearing thin now.

Its bad enough posting a bunch of comments like that but I personally feel you are taking the **** out of REAL web design agencies who bust their balls day in, day out doing what you very loosely claim to be doing.

And for anyone who thinks I'm being harsh, here are links to this fools posts:

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=42728#post42728

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=41911#post41911

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=41908#post41908

onlinkmedia
01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I have read the previous thread about whether the "slick" member was actually another member having a joke. However, the points made, even if they were put as a joke, gave a bad repuation for young designers, which is something we don't need. What we do need is the kids with copied software and free templates to stop, and let the good young designers get a better reputation.

totallydavid
01-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I suggest Slick Design gets a life. The original post good have been perceived as amusing, now the jokes getting thin.

I think whoever/whatever Slick Design is, actually believes they are talented web designer.

Sad people, probably claiming benefits sitting on the net making jokes like that get a life you sad fk, and let real designers like Brett, Phil, etc, get on with designing quality websites without idiots like you under-quoting them to produce a **** site

People like you Slick are not welcome on this board, this is a serious, creative and fun environment for adult business people to talk. You are not either adult, nor a business person therefore your presence is like a chav at Buckingham Palace. Kindly remove yourself.

DAVE

Incepto
01-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Well said Dave!

amz
01-07-2005, 10:44 PM
... on the flip side some of us IT folks actually want the industry to move in a positive direction and want to push standards and compliance. You'd expect the same from banking, retail etc - why is IT so different.

ps. I’m not a web designer.

Eagle
02-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Slick Design
4) Logo design is a growth industry and anyone can do it. Most logos are just a coloured box with the name of the company in Arial font so offer these services.
Joke or not - try getting your logo designs selected for an internationally recognised printed publication. Once you can do that, you're a logo designer. ;)

nikita
02-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Logo design is a growth industry and anyone can do it. Most logos are just a coloured box with the name of the company in Arial font so offer these services.

of course, slick design, that's the way you do it!!! we should have guessed...besides, for me it was enough just to look at your 'original' website and portfolio of work and it makes me sick after the word 'design'!

nikita
02-07-2005, 01:52 AM
all these so-called designers make me sick...not only they are not original and lack all the ideas they also take a mickey out of others by giving their stupid tips, HERE IS THE TIP FOR YOU MATE (THAT'S SLICK DESIGN YEAH)

HAVE A LOOK HERE WWW.ARTLEBEDEV.RU AND LEARN, LEARN AND LEARN AGAIN!

and before you set up in business, just look and study what professional work truly means!

ScottishLad
02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
That post just cheered me up today :o)

Love his website too, very professional, lol

natasha
02-07-2005, 06:06 PM
LMAO :D

Erel
02-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Why is it that every businessman or woman I see, at a young age is always a web designer? I wanted to do it once, but got bored of the idea as it was just so common.

nikita
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
above post,

if you refer to me you are wrong, I am not a web designer... and never was but I am capable as a customer to see what's real work and where is mickey mouse company... also scottish lad, if you are taking a **** in regards to the website I mentioned then I'll mention it again, just look at their portfolio... you have to learn to respect and recognize other achievements and not just praise basic cold 'designs' of which we've seen here a lot recently...

ScottishLad
03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by nikita
above post,

also scottish lad, if you are taking a **** in regards to the website I mentioned then I'll mention it again, just look at their portfolio... you have to learn to respect and recognize other achievements and not just praise basic cold 'designs' of which we've seen here a lot recently...

What do you actually mean by this comment?

nikita
03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
it looked to me as if you laughed at my post, that's what I meant.

ScottishLad
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
No I was laughing at Slick Designs website that i found the link to on another forum.

It was nothing to do with your post.

Phil
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
nikita: In all fairness, I think scottishlad was talking about slick's website. And just so you know, I think it is a joke, he [slick] doesn't really offer any webdesign. He is just taking the mick out of young people who are attempting to be 'designers'

Edit: nevermind, I see I was typing too slowly and you both sorted it out ;)

hirstys
04-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I think Slick design should be commended for pointing out the usual "methods" that kids in bedrooms use to pull the wool over the eyes of those not familiar with the web design industry.

They use all manner of ruses to convince hard working business people with mortgages, staff and other commitments that they should buy a site from them at an unrealistic price before failing to deliver properly and causing real problems for that business. At which point the "designer" can pop back down to the park for a kick around, leaving the business owner swinging in the wind and dealing with unsatisfied customers and lost sales!

Its a subject that has been covered time and time again and I think it will continually need to be covered until we manage to get a trade association with real standards and watchdog status to hound the cowboys out of the profession in the first place.

There is nothing derogatory to web designers in his statements, only derogatory to those "claiming" to be web designers. If anything he has said has offended you then you need to re-read it with your tongue in your cheek or you need to consider whether any of those statements apply to you.

Keep it up slick, it has given all the guys in this office a real laugh on a Monday morning.

Regards

James
A4 Internet ltd

Twistmedia
04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Ahhhh Joy......':D'

creativespring
11-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Becoming a web designer is relatively easy - making a living as a webdesigner now thats difficult! Especially as everyone thinks that they can do it or they have a mate that did a site once.