PDA

View Full Version : age

Rhys computing
23-06-2005, 07:57 PM
im only 16 and im worried that when i start a business that my clients wont take me seriously because of my age is there anything i can do that would re asure them that i am able to do the job

Shellfish
24-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Hello Rhys,

I think it's great that you're thinking of starting up already and I don't think clients will automatically dismiss you because of your age. If someone can fix my computer, I don't care whether they're 10 or 100 so long as they do a good job. I also think there are plenty of cases of people in the IT sector being successful very young - the gaming industry (not to mention hacking!) is the obvious one where there are lots of success stories.

In terms of reassuring clients though, it's useful to think of this, and I suppose the key thing might be to try and act like a bigger company (possibly with an older MD might). I think your age will mean that the usual routes of setting up a limited company or getting VAT registered to give a 'big serious company' image won't be open to you, but I do think there are still things you can do. Getting business cards and headed paper would be a good one - these are small things but people do notice them, and you could sort out those for relatively little cash. Similarly having a very basic leaflet about your services could be useful, and giving people proper invoices/receipts (also on headed paper).

Most of all though, I think it will be you personally who can reassure people. At the end of the day, you should be judged on what you do, not your age, so if you're courteous and prompt, return calls quickly when clients need you, are polite and helpful etc. then that will be what counts. Those are the things that count whatever sector you're in and whatever your age, but I suppose they're the things you need to be aware of in this situation.

I hope that helps, and good luck with starting up,

Shellfish