PDA

View Full Version : Photos - ownership and permission to use

Cath
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm setting up a local magazine and am investigating using local images for the cover, and for the media pack cover.

If I take a picture of a street scene, for example, which contains private residences, a shop or two etc, am I allowed to publish this without express permission of the householder/business etc??

To clarify, the image would be a general street scene, not specifically of someone's house/business.

Any advice from anyone in this area, greatly appreciated.

Cath
Town House Publishing

damion
09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't have thought so. If anything the shops would be greatful for the coverage in your magazine. And the residents probably won't even be bothered.

Regards,

Damion
DEGRAFIK

*If you ever need any layouts designing or covers for your magazine drop us an email.

webprojectuk
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Cath,

Who is doing your printing if you don't mind me asking as I am thinking of doing a mag myself in the next few months.

Cath
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Sam Fletcher of Redwelly Media is designing the magazine and all stationery for me, and managing the printing side of things too - am very impressed with his work!!

Thanks Damion, I've spent the day taking scenic shots of the town - I've not gone for anything blatantly of a specific business or residence so I hope I'm covered!!

Cath

buveur de vin
09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Unless it's changed I believe you are allowed to take photo's of buildings and retain copyright, without breaking any laws, so long as you are on public property when you take the photo's. Permission is required to take photo's inside buildings or on private land if you intend to publish them.

:)

gwhaskew
10-06-2005, 09:30 AM
This is fine. you can take pictures of a street scene in the same way your local paper can.

However if a photo doesnt represent a true picture of the usual scene it maybe advisable not to use it as it could annoy someone.

G
Essex Uni Photo Soc

Just dont take pictures of planes in greece!