PDA

View Full Version : Apprasing employees

steve0
21-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I have recently taken on my first employee and have little experience of managing poeple, I want to get it right first time and am looking for some good methods of appraisal.
Do you have a useful system to suggest?

Thanks in advance

Hannah
27-01-2003, 04:11 PM
I have always found it useful to set goals and standards in order to be effective in your appraisal process.

Formal appraisal should assist in improving performance and not a method for punishing poor performance.
I tend to follow these general guides
- review overall performance during a given time period
- ensure shared understanding
- establish goals
- look at strengths and weaknesses
- agree an action plan
- set training recommendations.

These are some basics that I hope will help.

Gerry Ford
28-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi Steve
You might also like to get in touch with the Equal Opportunities Commission or the Labour Relations Agency, both organisations provide help and guidance on all aspects of employing people/being a good employer. The former produces a set of excellent pocketbooks.
You might also want to take a look at the being your own boss (personnel) section of livewire's website www.shell-livewire.org
Best regards
Rusty

sam0
01-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi Steve

Check our www.yourpeoplemanager.com

This web site has been specially designed by Investors in People uk for small businesses and offers practical advice on appraisals, recruitment, goal setting, boundaries etc. Dont think that because you are a force of two you are too small to use the IIP principles for managing your staff. I started using them when I only had two members of staff and found that it was actually easier to recruit and induct new people into a growing business because we already had the procedures and systems in place.

ACAS also has some great booklets on employing people and staying on the right side of the law

Hope this helps

Sam G