PDA

View Full Version : Using personal address for registered address

Nicky80
10-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi there, I have a question relating to using personal address as the company registered address. From the point of view of my council, if I have a company that has the registered address as my home address, but no business is conducted there, can I be liable for business rates or anything else that may cause me a problem? Is it perfectly legal to use my personal address simply as a company registered address (i.e. to receive companys house forms), and not incur charges or any problems in the future? Many thanks in advance for your help

Statler
12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi,

It is my understanding that you can actually use a PO Box address for the address of your company, should you so wish (see question 7 in the below link):

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/faq/registerNewComp.shtml

This may be the best way of avoiding any confusion with your local council (and mortgage provider, insurance company, etc).

Lee

Nicky80
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Lee, thank you for your comment. The only issue I would have with using a PO Box number, is that it is easy and legal to find out the address from a PO Box number (I believe Post Office will give details if asked). In any case, is not a secure system. And so it would still be possible to say that as post was being sent to that address, it was being used as a "business address", then to pay for the privilege seems daft. What I wanted to know, was whether it would be legal or not, from the perspective of being seen to be using an address as a trading address, and what liabilities it may incur. My enquiry to the Companies House helpline said that a lot of people who use /check the company register don't understand the difference between registered address and trading address. My enquiry to the council to ask whether they would consider that as a trading address, is that if a room in the property is used solely for business, which in this postulated case, it wouldn't be, then it would be considered as a trading address and liable for business rates. It would therefore appear that this is a grey area. For instance from a freelance journalists point of view, or a "home business", where is the line drawn as to whether "trading" is occurring or not? What I would like to know is the exact legal position on this issue, so I don't fall foul of regulation. Any comments would be welcome.

Statler
13-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Nicky,

Where will your company actually be trading from? And why can't you use this address?

Lee

Andrewgadd
23-02-2005, 06:05 PM
There is nothing wrong with using your home address as a company address. The local council will only get involved if you convert some of your home address to a dedicated work area (if you do, they'll want business rates). As a Ltd Co you'll need a Registered Office, and most small companies use their accounts office - as you'll have to have an accountant as a Ltd Co anyway.
Don't annoy the neighbours. They can complain to the Council, and they'll visit you to assess your situation.