PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have broadband?Need advice

ruthcoe
30-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Due to business requirements, I think I need to get broadband,
Having looked at the possibilities, need to know recommendations
Does any one use?
Is it worth the hype?

Lots of offers free connection at moment, but is it worth money.
Appreciate all thoughts

Ruth

www.secretarialangel.co.uk

chilleddesign
30-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi There

Broadband is amazing compared to normal telephone dial-up i currently use NTL have a look at them, i have never had a problem and set-up was so simple .. Also BT and Freeserve do broadband

Kind Regards

Chris

shamrocker
30-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Hi Ruth,

I have NTL Broadband (600kbs) costing 25 pm. I have found lots of advantages with the broadband. The main one is that the phone line is free for use. Before I signed up to NTL I was paying for the monthly line rental for my phone and also for the Internet account on top. I only used the landline phone for Internet access so I was paying nearly 30 a month for a 56kbs access, so I'm saving a fiver now and have a 10 times faster line. My Broadband is cable so no phone line is required, but I believe you will need a phone line if your Broadband is ADSL. With NTL you can also opt for the 128kbs speed for 14.99 a month but you will have to pay for connection. They encourage you to take out the 600k or 1mb and give you free connection with the option of downgrading to 128k, but hardly anyone ever does.

I have also found downloading from the web great. If you wanted to you could save yourself a fortune by getting the latest free software from file sharing sites...a bit of a touchy subject with some people! You can also get the latest music albums and DVDs, so the broadband will pay for itself in this way.

Don't expect to be able to surf the web at lightening speed all the time because you will be disappointed. My 600k wasn't as fast as I had expected but I think my firewall slows it down a bit. You also have to consider the bandwith ratio of your line. This means the amount of other users you are sharing your line with, for example 1:20 or 1:50, so at different times of the day the speed will differ.

Anyway, all in all I would recommend you go for it. It's a bit more expensive but it makes life a bit more comfortable.

Cheers,

Shamrocker

VLAHAKISA
30-12-2002, 11:36 PM
I have broadband and it's definitely worth it, mainly for the speed on downloading items, the phone line being free of course is a major advantage.

Blueyonder have one of the best reputations as a provider and this is why I choose them (after a bad experience with BT who have the worse complaints record as an ISP - please do not touch them with a bargepole), I have been using blueyonder for about two/three months and cannot fault them yet.

They cost 24.99 a month.

JamesH
31-12-2002, 01:12 AM
I use Pipex ADSL. (www.pipex.co.uk)
Definitely one of the best and still the cheapest as far as I'm aware at 23 quid a month. I've had it since March and have had no problems.

ee96sso
31-12-2002, 04:19 AM
I would definitely recommend broadband. Like others have already pointed out you get the following benefits:
1: No need to dial up and therefore quicker time to get online.
2: Your phone line is left free for incoming calls.
3: Better surfing experience; pages load quicker; download files quicker.
4: Better multimedia experience. Streaming video appears virtually real time.
The price of broadband as you are probably aware has fallen to a somewhat reasonable levels.
I would recommend ntl. There basic package at 128k cost about 14.99. This is twice as fast as nomal dial up. But to really feel the benefit of broadband I suggest you go for 600k at 25.00 a month. This is x10 faster than normal dial up(56k). Or you could even go higher for 1000k(1MB), x20 norrowband, for 30.00.
I think their prices are not too bad compared to rivals.

natalie
31-12-2002, 03:10 PM
I use Freeserve Broadband and pay 29.99 per month. It is certainly better than traditional internet access and I have found that when sending large documents via e-mail with attachments it is much quicker.

I have not had any major problems with Freeserve and would recommend it.

Natalie Brown
NLB Travel
www.nlbtravel.co.uk

timbrown123
01-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi Ruth,

From a business cost point of view, I would recommend your upgrading to broadband only if you really need it. The unlimited use dial-up packages start from 5 per month now so if speed is not essential for you then you can save hundreds of pounds per year with dial-up. If your time is more important than the money then go go go for broadband. No wait, no frustration, always on.

The price differences between the residential and business packages are large as home users are subsidised by businesses.

If you are working from home and want to use your Internet connection for sending e-mails and browsing Web pages and downloading a few files then most Internet service providers will be happy to provide you with a residential package.

If your business requires you to run any type of server to deliver Web pages, ads, streaming content, files, etc directly from your PC then they will force you to subscribe to a business package. Some people may suggest that you'll get away with a residential package but most ISPs do automatically check for servers running via residential broadband lines. It was big in the news in August, when many ISPs were clamping down on this sort of thing, either blocking individual services or disconnecting offending users. If your connection is business-critical then it's not worth playing games with them and I would recommend paying the extra for a business package.

By the way, avoid ISDN as it is charged by usage time and can end up costing a lot more than broadband.

Broadband comes in 2 main varieties:
- Cable modem
- DSL (or a variant)
Don't listen to any banter about one being better than the other. They both have their pros and cons and your download / upload speed is more likely to be affected by the number of local people in your street who are connected to the same broadband wire as you.

You will have a choice of 3 main speeds:
- 512 kbps (half megabits per second)
- 1 Mbps
- 2 Mbps
I would recommend you go for the standard 512 kbps service as this plenty fast for most small business needs and allows you to transfer business documents and large e-mails in a matter of seconds.

Here are the top rated broadband service providers:
- Telewest's Blueyonder (http://www.byworkwise.com/broadband/pricingandpackages.asp)
- NTL (http://business.ntl.com/en/productsandservices/productdetail.jhtml?ProductId=prod270006)
- Firenet (http://www.firenet.uk.com/press/archive2.asp)
- Vispa (http://www.vispa.com/broadband-business500.php)
I use Blueyonder and can recommend it as a fast, mostly problem-free service. It also has a 24-hour freephone support line and the queue time is usally under 10 minutes.

Whichever service you opt for, do check for all the costs: prerequisites (do you require a BT line or any other service?), installation, cable modem (costs / rental), extra network card for your PC, support (freepone?, response time, extra costs for on-site connection checks), software (firewall, antivirus, other: will the ISP force you to install their own software which may interfere with your computer?), hubs (and cables and other network hardware and connection-sharing operating system / software if you want many PCs to share one broadband connection).

If you need any further advice or will need help with your network, Internet services or training then e-mail me:
timbrown123@hotmail.com

All the best

timbrown123
01-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by shamrocker
I have also found downloading from the web great. If you wanted to you could save yourself a fortune by getting the latest free software from file sharing sites...a bit of a touchy subject with some people! You can also get the latest music albums and DVDs, so the broadband will pay for itself in this way.

Don't expect to be able to surf the web at lightening speed all the time because you will be disappointed. My 600k wasn't as fast as I had expected but I think my firewall slows it down a bit. You also have to consider the bandwith ratio of your line. This means the amount of other users you are sharing your line with, for example 1:20 or 1:50, so at different times of the day the speed will differ.

There are plenty of free or low cost software packages available for all to use, so I would advise against using pirated software. When I say "free software" I mean that it's legally free. These free alternatives are at worst competent for the job and at best work better than the standard software packages. The one-off disadvantage is that it needs to be set up properly (you don't always get hand-holding as you do with expensive software packages, though there is often good help on the Internet) and you and your staff will need to be educated to make the most of these software packages. It's not always as intuitive as Microsoft software. The huge advantage is, of course, the cost in the long term. No licence fees, no being forced to upgrade. Also, consider that your company's reputation is at stake if you use pirated software and are caught, as well as hefty fines.

Regarding firewalls: when you get a broadband connection you MUST install a firewall, which is a program (or a physical box) which monitors traffic between your PC and the rest of the Internet, blocking suspicious activity such as hackers. It is essential because with broadband you are permanently connected to the Internet and hackers may attempt to break into your computer(s) at any time on any day from anywhere in the world. And yes, a firewall will slow your computer down a fraction as it needs to work hard examining all information going in & out of your computer.

leehellcat
05-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I have BT Openworld ADSL at home and that is fine. I have had it for about 14 months now and have not had any problems.
It costs 29.99 per month, and when I ordered it they were doing free installation. Unlike some other ADSL providers BT supply you with the Modem.

You can download Free Firewall programs, which is an absolute must if you have Broadband.

The main constraint is whether you can actually get Broadband in your area, and whether it is for your house or a business premises.
If you work from home then you can get away with a home Broadband package, which are all about 25-30 quid a month. If it is going to go to a business premises then you will be looking at substantially more.

As far as wether it is worth it, that really depends on what you currently pay for your internet access. When I swapped I was paying 15 a month for BT Anytime, and was going to get a second line installed for the Internet, which would have been more expensive per month, so it made financial sense to swap in my case.

Also, I agree about the pirate software. You should never entertain Pirate software, especially if you are using your PC for business. There are a multitude of Free programs that you can get now, that are equally as good for the general user as their more expensive counterparts.
Open Office is a good alternative to Microsoft Office, and can open and save files in Microsoft Office formats.It is free and available from : www.openoffice.org

Lins
06-01-2003, 02:52 PM
BT have enabled over 1,000 local exchanges around the UK providing access to broadband for around two thirds of the population. But what about the remainder of comparatively 'rural' areas? Will broadband ever be delivered? You can now keep track of the status of your local exchange with our automatically updated summary list from the BT Demand Tracking website.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btprereg.asp?order=trig

VLAHAKISA
06-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Personally I would avoid BT, despite having many happy customers, they have the worst complaint record as an ISP, therefore if you are choosing BT you have a greater chance of having a bad experience. (As I did)

Lins
06-01-2003, 03:01 PM
I know that many people have had some issues with BT, but we have had no problems whatsoever with our broadband or anything else.

You should really make up your own mind and speak to others in your local area for their viewpoints.

Lindsay

VLAHAKISA
06-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Yes I did say that many customers have received good service from them, however their complaint record of having the highest number of complaints as an ISP is not based on my own opinion, it is statistical fact recorded by industry regulator Oftel who have investigated them and their findings have been reported by BBC news at this URL....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2569447.stm

The article explains that based on Oftel records BT receive 1.6 complaints per 1000 customers as compared to the industry average of 0.4, BT top the list for ISP complaint records, I only wish I'd read the article before signing up with them.......therefore feel obliged to mention these very interesting facts to anyone deciding on an ISP.

There are even two sites dedicated to the victims..

http://www.btopenwoe.org.uk/
http://www.btsuck.org

choc
14-01-2003, 11:44 PM
I actually provide this service to customers but cannot have it myself!!Because BT will not enable the exchange in my area yet.Myself and a few others have made adverts and put them everywhere in our village but were still 35 customers off.Im sick as a parrot.My co. do it for 25 p/m inc vat No contract with their own dedicated servers..

JamesH
15-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Actually Pipex now offer a free USB ADSL modem with their Solo package, which at 23.40GBP per month all in is not bad.
Check them out at www.pipex.co.uk