View Full Version : Lost in the legal maze

07-05-2003, 02:15 PM
i want to create music for local shops but i am lost as to how i get permission to use chart songs. do you need licences? do you ask permission? do you pay comission?


Sarah Jones
12-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi James

Yes you do have to pay for music rights. The best place to start is to contact the distributors for the music that you want to play (details found on the back of all CD covers) and they will advise you on how to go about using it and the cost. Some are cheaper than others so you may want to see which artists will not cost you a fortune.

Some people do try and do this without permission but as you are in a public arena I would not recommend that you go that route as the penalties are high as you can imagine.