PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Em_Sutton
05-03-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm looking to start an equine aid business which will help owners and horses with coonditions such as Laminitis and Anaemia.
As I haven't taken a Business Management course - I'm wondering where I start from the initial idea.
I've already put an advert on an equine website asking for feedback on whether it will be worth it to horse owners throughout the UK but I don't know how to get things started from this end if feedback is positive.

shell_livewire
10-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi Em

Perhaps the best starting point is figuring out whether you have got what it takes to start your own business. Ask yourself questions like - do I have all the necessary skills required? If not can you get them, while you are working could you complete a business management course. While you are awaiting feedback from your research you could also phone around and find out if your potential customers would find the product useful and what sort of level they would be prepared to pay. It is also useful to find out how big your market is who your competitors might be and if there are any external factors which might effect your business. If you speak to a business adviser they can help you develop a business plan. Shell livewire will put you in touch with an adviser if you register your details under the 'your account' section of the website.

Good luck

Em_Sutton
10-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi there

Thanks very much for the reply.

I do have a lot of experience within this field and have researched over the web to see whether there are any other types of business like this but there only seems to be one, which is down South.

I was hoping you could maybe answer a couple more questions...... I've already sent a message to my local mentor but in the meantime I was wondering whether you knew of any places which offer some kind of free training for people like me who don't have much to start out on - any kind of business management course etc....

Also, I need to find out about sponsorship. I was thinking maybe one of the main supplements I will be using (called Blue Chip) would like to sponsor me - but I don't know how to approach them. Is it best to write some kind of sponsorship proposal?

Finally, what do I need to do regarding trademark, registering etc. What are all the rules and regulations - or where can I get hold of some info on this?

Thanks again

Em