PDA

View Full Version : Attracting small ponsors

stuffski
18-02-2005, 05:20 PM
we are working on a potentially very large project to start a national television channel for students owned and partially run by students. www.crarketing.com/tv.shtml for more info.

Initially we aim to launch on the internet and we need a few thousand pounds to cover the running expenses.

I would just like some advise on how to get these sponsors? Ideally they should be large corporate sponsors who want to associate their name with the development of this important grassroots project.

Thanks for the help.

annepink
18-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Regional Newspapers are often interested in increasing readership of that age group. The big ones are Northcliffe, Newsquest Trinity Mirror Johnson Press and United If you can think of a way of linking the two needs it may make a good proposition.

stuffski
21-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for this advice. Does anyone have appropriate direct contact details for people that might be able to help?

My email is Boyan.Benev@crarketing.com

Thanks again.

annepink
21-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Each of these goups have websites which list contacts (as would local radio stations such as the EMAP group). I suggest you will be looking for the Marketing Director or Commercial Director.

stuffski
22-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm on it.

Do you think its a good idea to offer an incentive or does it make it odd?

I'm thinking of offering a magnum of Bollinger for every sponsor of 1000 or more.

annepink
22-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by it, ie why do you think it will encourage sponsors?

stuffski
22-02-2005, 08:11 PM
The line of thought was that a marketing manager, with the choice at their finger will go for something which has a personal perk - even if a token one.

I look at it this way because the way I see it we have a better potential with corporate sponsors as opposed to personal ones (who wouldn't be swayed by such a gesture).

annepink
22-02-2005, 09:02 PM
You need to decide yourself on this one, as it is not one I can relate too fully. I consider it's far more important that they would choose your option because it is the best one for the business they work for and personally I would devote my creative energy to ensuring my proposal was sound on its own merits.

stuffski
22-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Thats very true. My point isn't that I'm trying to buy them off. The truth is that even if it is a good idea (which we like to think it is), it takes a lot more than that fo it to get attention and funding.

I think I may re-think the approach because in a way it does cheapen the idea - it should, to paraphrase you, stand on its own feet.

One thing which has always annoyed me is bureaucracy - theres a lot of it and when the topic turns to spending money it seems to be even worse. This was just an attempt to get through it. The only other way I can think of is to directly know someone who has the say - which I unfortunately don't.

annepink
24-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Get to know them! Research the company website - see if it gives a profile and then do a search of media and see if there is an article on them and what they have commented on. Send a dynamic letter or designed
e-mail referring to the article and if possible saying "as someone who clearly is ahead of the game on xxxxxxxxx, perhpas you would enjoy being involved in (your project).............

Good luck

stuffski
26-02-2005, 11:20 PM
That sounds like a plan. As time is going on we are getting more and more people interested which is good. Will just have to see how it develops.

The key is attracting not just people who can give funding but also people who can advise us in the promotion and help with the promotion.

stuffski
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Just to say that the site is now up and running. If anyone knows members of student media or the press just get them to take a look.

Thanks

stuffski
05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
www.sytv.co.uk