PDA

View Full Version : format

Sarafet Amiji
10-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Is it illegal in marketing to use the same terminology to describe certain people for eg, whitepages has a subheading Auction , would it be illegal for me to publish Auction as my subtitle.

annepink
10-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Quite frankly I dont understand your question?

SetterFan
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Sarafet

If I understand your question, you're wanting to know if you're doing anything wrong by copying the category headings already developed by somebody else for a directory (or similar) in a directory that you're developing yourself.

That's largely a question of copyright - and would come down more than anything to how much you were making use of a work created by somebody else.

If you're just using a few headings, particularly if they are generic descriptions of a trade or activity anyway, you are unlikely to be infringing someone's copyright. If you took every category heading they use and used them all yourself, then there might be an argument that you are using their work.

Similarly, if you are only using one or two headings, but are copying all of the entries within that category, into your own database, they might have a case for complaining that you were infringing their copyright (some directory publishers put in bogus entries to catch out people who are ripping them off).

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Sarafet Amiji
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks mate thats a great help.. Also where can i find laws to do with selling advertisment space..

Sarafet Amiji
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
how do i get all the local listing of all business

annepink
13-02-2005, 02:42 PM
As an ex Classified manager who worked in newspapers for 22 years I can tell you it's quite common practice to use the same classification heading names as other publications; what you can't copy is their design/theme concepts.

Trading standards will supply you with some info and The Newspaper Society based in Bloomsbury Square, London provide Advertisment points to watch, but you may need to pay.

Business listings are on sale from Yellow Pages Thomson Local and some local authorities.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Sarafet Amiji
16-02-2005, 12:54 PM
thanks...

Sarafet Amiji
16-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Hello there, i was just wondering is there anyway i can patant my service so big co-oparations cant crush me after first year.

Statler
17-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I don't think you can patent this type of thing, but you may well be able to copyright protect it:

http://www.patent.gov.uk/

http://www.the-key.biz/

Lee