PDA

View Full Version : Phase 2 - How to expand the service?

artic
19-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Hello

Background: I am a speech and language therapist. I have set up an independent service ( I also work for the NHS). I have a good website, have adverstised in local press a couple of times, emailed hundreds of schools, sent letters to local consultants and word of mouth seems to be starting (all this after 10 months). I have just signed up for local commerce group and am seeking a mentor. I borrowed a couple of thousand pounds from a credit card (on interest free!) to start up and the annual forecast is approx. 9K.

Aim: To significantly increase revenue, 'brand name' and services in the next 12 months. To provide an excellent service foremost. I have big plans for the business such as IT / speech / language training for school staff, employing therapists to provide a domiciliary service, starting a nursery service, providing consultants for Education, corporate training and so the ideas torment me...
Question: How do I expand the service further? Mailshots don't seem to work and local press advertising is expensive and not that effective. How do I fidentify and focus on the area that will lead to a take up in the service? And develop / eliminate ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Statler
21-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Do you also advertise in the Yellow Pages? I did a quick check in my local Yellow Pages, and found that there are only two Speech Therapists in Newcastle, so if I was looking for such a service, I'd obviously have to choose one or the other!

Are you also a member of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP)? If not, it may be worth seeing what the benefits of membership are, eg networking with others in the same field and swapping ideas. You can find their website at:

http://www.asltip.co.uk

It may also be worth trying to place leaflets or posters in community cafes, community centres and private nurseries, etc. Time permitting, perhaps you could do question and answer sessions with the likes of mothers and toddlers groups.

Lee