PDA

View Full Version : meeting the Chamber of commerce

ruthcoe
20-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Today I had a meeting with the Chamber of Commerce and they have (in my area) a deal for start up businesses, Their aim is too get you business by hook or by crook! Loads of advice and resources on offer network meetings and loads more. Can pay in full or direct debit, but it is a tiny amount a month,
Def worth a go.
Ruth

www.secretarialangel.co.uk

Designr
20-12-2002, 03:53 PM
We where also Chamber Of Commerce members, but I was quite disappointed with the resources we actually received. However, thats not to say it's not a good idea in joining. I think it varies from county to county, but we where promised quite a lot, but nothing ever came out of it.

The only thing we received from them where cold calls and sales pitches from our chamber members.

Thats our experience with our local COM.

Regards

ruthcoe
20-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Yes but isnt that the idea? To make contact with other businesses? Other members are in it for the same reason as any business. To generate business and establish contacts. Even if you are not interested in their business you never know when they may be useful, so building contact is just as good,. I would expect cold call sales from members once I have officially become a member, because no doubt i will be doing the same.

The man I saw said if he didnt generate any useful business for me - then he was going to resign! I said Im holding him to it!

Ruth

Designr
20-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Like I said Ruth, I think it varies from county to county. I can't justify spending 160+ for membership to receive cold calls form companies that don't interest me.

(i.e. If i was, say, looking for an accountant, I would look through the chamber directory and go from there) I didn't become a member simply to make business contacts.

We haven't renewed our membership and find spending the money elsewhere more beneficial. However, I hope your membership does generate some business for you.

Regards
Jay
Design R Web Solutions

VLAHAKISA
21-12-2002, 09:28 PM
I think that the chamber of commerce is a bit of a pointless payout because from what I can gather from many businesses who have trialed them all they can provide you with is contacts with other businesses, but you can gain this for yourself online or offline for FREE.

I have contacts with many businesses without paying a penny and so chose to give them (the chamber of commerce) a miss. I don't believe they can provide anything that you can't gain for yourself for free.

ruthcoe
21-12-2002, 09:33 PM
I totally agree Amanda , I found contacts for free as well.
I did also join for the training information, and to gain confidence when actually meeting people in "network environment" which I feel am lacking.
So I surpose you gain out of it what you need to personal and business
Ru

VLAHAKISA
21-12-2002, 09:41 PM
Hi Ruth, It is pretty scary networking in the flesh and does require considerable confidence I feel, it's not the same as online networking which is much easier; where you you have time to think about, proof read, and consider your response.

Real time networking is different, you need to keep the conversation flowing, keep it relevant and interesting, and avoid those silences, it can be difficult and stressful.

My major problem is keeping it relevant, I just want to have a laugh and chat when networking half the time and lose the business focus but I feel that this is fine, it's about getting to know and trust other businesses so that you feel you can come to them and use them in the future and feel safe.

This doesn't mean you need to keep to 'business' subjects, if any thing perhaps it's a good thing to know the person behind the business a bit more, otherwise how can you trust a business if you don't know the person behind it. :-)