PDA

View Full Version : selling on the phone

ed209
27-05-2003, 11:14 AM
All the web sites I look at, that deal with business advice, say that cold calling (I read this as telephone calls) is an efffective way of getting new clients. I NEED new clients so I've been calling up 10 or so businesses a day from the yellow pages. I've had some interest during the phone conversations so I post them a letter about my business. As yet I've heard nothing back.

I think what I need is a more confident/proffesional phone manner. I do have something written down but I was wondering, is there a rough script to follow? Some examples of what people say on the phone somewhere?

I am a graphic designer and I started trading in march - it's now may and I have no business. Help! I think my weakness is sales but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks
Ed
www.edleadesign.co.uk

Sarah Jones
28-05-2003, 07:23 AM
The secret to cold calling is volume - the more calls you make the more chance you stand of getting an appointment and turning that into a sale. You need to look at increasing your sales calls at least 4 or 5 fold to start to see some results. You are right to follow up interest with a letter but then you also need to follow the letter/brochure up with another sales call to see if you can get an appointment - they will not call you back as they will be contacted many times a day from similar companies.

I do not know of anywhere that produces scripts for telephone calls but there are many Sales books in the shops that will give you some hints on this. Personally I think someone reading from a script is too impersonal. As it is your business, your enthusiasm should shine through and this will get people interested. In this competitive market place, make time to ensure you have thought through why you are different to other companies and why they should use you.

The other area to look at closely is to get good mailing lists for your telephone calls. These do cost money but good lists are worth it as you should get through to the right person in your target companies. There are many list brokers on the web so search for ones that offer you a good price for the industries you want to target.

I hope this helps you on your way.

Good luck

ed209
28-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your advice. I'm sure the more I businesses I call the more interest there will be but I'm not sure what to expect from a first phone call. I'm usually happy with them asking for me to post them a letter about my company. Does anyone out there have any tips and tricks about making more of a success out of cold calling?

thanks
Ed
www.edleadesign.co.uk