PDA

View Full Version : Where can i find the right Sales person?

Ahmed Kidy
12-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I have started an advertsing company in Manchester, which has never been used before. The potential for it is huge. everyone who i have spoke to about it in confidence has agreed with me on its massive potential. I have done everything for the business, including all the research, web-site and have also done a test campaign, to show its effectiveness. What i need is an entrepreneurial sales person with at least 5 years of hard sales experience, who is self motivated and can drive this company forward. i cant afford conventional methods of advertising such as Newspaper..etc. I have tried posters but it hasn't brought the right person. Can you help me look. I am offering a partnership into a fully developed business, which has the potential of going national, resulting in huge profits.

Sarah Jones
14-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Finding the right sales person is a very difficult task and one that I have struggled with on many occassions over the years.

Unfortunately finding the right person will take some funding through traditional methods and it will be worth your while to see what budget you can afford within your business plan.

Traditional methods do include advertising and recruitment agencies but don't dimiss them completely yet as local newspapers do not charge the earth for an advert and if you word it in the right way, you could find one that is looking for an investment opportunity.
If your business plan allows some funds, then talk to a recruitment agency about your plans and see if they are interested.

In the meantime, word of mouth does work so speak to as many people as you can and you are also sure of the references that come with them if they have been referred by someone you know.

Good luck

Mark France
15-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Recruitment of key people is always tricky but one piece of advice is to "recruit attitude and teach aptitude" What I'm trying to say is that even with the best track record in selling and all the experience in the world the person may not fit with your ethics or company values.

I speak from experience in that I found a salesman that quadrupled my company's turnover in 12 months, and within a further 12 months I had to let him go as he was selling my services in a very inappropriate way and nearly destroyed the business.

Initially (in respect of his early successes) I too went down the route of partnership and this was the worst decision of my life - be VERY careful with this aspect.

Best of luck