PDA

View Full Version : Website Copyright

Peterm
12-12-2002, 08:54 PM
I have seen a lot of websites that are copyright protect. How do you go about doing this and is it expensive?

What happens if you constantly change the website etc, do you need to re submit for new protect?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Peter

timbrown123
20-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Hi Peterm,

There are many methods of protecting your Web site content. As with any security, you can go to extraordinary lengths to protect your data; you must decide what level of protection you want and how much you're willing to pay for it in time / money.

I'm thoroughly familiar with this so if you need more help let me know.

Best regards

craig_bell
20-12-2002, 04:29 PM
You must remeber though that whatever you have created on your website (i.e. text and graphics) belongs to you. This means you automatically have copyright. Obviously, this does not stop people from stealing this.

Regards,

Craig Bell

Waldorf
20-12-2002, 04:44 PM
As Craig Bell suggests, copyright protection is automatically given to the creators of certain materials. These include materials on the internet.

You should check out: http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/

Quote from that site: “Under UK law copyright material sent over the Internet or stored on web servers will generally be protected in the same way as material in other media.“

Putting a copyright notice on your website may not be absolutely necessary, but it does help emphasise that you own the material.

VLAHAKISA
21-12-2002, 10:24 PM
If you create a website you should always put a copyright notice on there stating that all content/graphics are copyrighted and are not to be reproduced or used etc.......however............

Nothing.....absolutely nothing.....can stop someone from stealing your images or copyright if they choose to, putting copy right marks on your images will not stop them, disabling right click will not stop them, nothing can.

Do not pay to have your content protected because no body can do this for you, I shall give you an example, if right click is disabled and if someone cannot download your images because they have been created as non downloadable by some company paid to 'protect' them; this does not stop them.

If a web site visitor can see the screen they can copy it, they can use an screen/image 'grabbing' piece of software that simply copies the screen, then use that 'grab' of your website screen to isolate the image they wish to steal and copy it. Do not pay to stop this because there is no way to stopping it, and if Tim Brown has a foolproof method myself and millions of others would love to hear it.

The best you can do is make it clear to those that may not know it that your original content is not to be copied, but those people that know this and choose to copy anyway cannot be stopped, you can only hope that you catch them at it.

timbrown123
20-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Hi Amanda,

You're right, if someone is determined to grab an image then they can. But does this mean that you shouldn't take steps to minise this?

Putting up a copyright warning sign is possibly the lowest form of protection and won't stop anyone. When you last took an image from a Web site did you stop to read the small print?

Think about a burglar trying to get into a house. No matter how much security you set up, the burglar can get in if he really wants to. Does that mean you shouldn't install and turn on burglar alarms, that you shouldn't have a guard dog, that you shouldn't put a fence around your house, that you shouldn't put your lights on a random timer, that you shouldn't even lock your doors? What you're suggesting amounts to putting up a sign saying that the property belongs to you, and then leaving the doors wide open. What do you think people are going to do?

As I said, there are several methods of protecting your images from the casual surfer, and the type and amount of protection depends on how much you value your images. If you're running a gallery to sell paintings or posters and you want users to see a picture enlarged but you don't want them to just right-click and save it then there are LOTS of steps you can take to minimise casual theft.

Peter, you should consider how much protection you really need and the value of your images.

VLAHAKISA
20-01-2003, 11:36 PM
But there is absolutely nothing you can to do to stop someone stealing your pictures if they want to, nothing at all, I don't understand what you mean about ensuring your images are protected, no one can do this.

If an image is visual on screen it can be stolen with a screen copying programme (grabber2k for instance), and then put into an editing programme, cropped out from the rest of the screen and resaved, hey presto stolen image.

All you can to is put up the appropriate warnings and hope that if they do decide to do this you catch them and then can take legal action - so legally they have no right to do this, but physically if you put your images on the screen you cannot stop them if they wish to be illegal and you don't happen to catch their illegal activity.

timbrown123
20-01-2003, 11:49 PM
As I already said, you're suggesting that no-one should lock their doors because burglars can buy hammers and skeleton keys to break into a house. This is plain ridiculous.

If you want to go from site to site stealing images with a screen grabber then good for you. But the fact remains that the majority of internet users won't do so. They may try to save an image one way or another and if it doesn't work then they are more likely to move along.

If Peter wants to protect his images from the vast majority of users then he can do so.

Electron
21-01-2003, 12:32 AM
You could always ask a question before they enter,

"Click here if your going to steal stuff from my site"

"Click here if your NOT going to steal stuff from my site"

LOL, only kidding :P

VLAHAKISA
21-01-2003, 01:33 AM
True enough, the vast majority will try right click and then give up if that doesn't work.

But I just would have thought that anyone who wants to use an image would have the tools and knowledge to know how to lift it in other ways apart from right click - maybe I'm wrong.

In that case all he needs is a simple script disabling right click, alternatively and very easily he can place a transparent square over any of his images so that when people think they have right clicked and saved it when they go to open it all they find is a blank instead of the image they wanted.

Placing a transparent object ontop of the image or disabling right click in conjunction with putting copyright wording/watermarks over his images will stop nearly everyone from using his images. However a graphic artist will still easily be able to steal them and use them via the screen grabber and then very simply paintbrushing over the watermarked areas.