PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Queries

TheBoss
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Everyone, hope someone may be able to share some advice.

Im looking to set up using paypal on my new site, buyers will be paying for a service, and will need to be able to pay one off payments.

1) Is paypal worth using? anyone had any major problems with it?
2) Would I have to have a Business account in order to accept payments?
3) Am I right in saying, customers no longer need to be a paypal member in order to purchase, and can just tap in there credit card details?
4) What are paypal like when it comes to thing like refunds?
5) would you say there are the cheapest option to use, especially I want to keep start up costs to a minimum

Sorry about all the questions, just really need to the answers before signing up.

Many thanks everyone
:)

Sherry_D
01-03-2005, 11:10 PM
The boss

If you go to the 2nd page there was a discussion about paypal. If you just type 'paypal' on the furum search you find more disussions. i dont really know how to copy the link here, other forum members may help me on how i can put the link to previous discussion.

I am registered with paypal and i am verified but i havent used it yet so i cant be of much help.

mattley23
01-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I use the paypal shopping cart system for my business and have no problems, so to answer your questions:

1) Is paypal worth using? anyone had any major problems with it?

Yes I quite like paypal, although I would also consider adding another payment system like worldpay to give better variety.

2) Would I have to have a Business account in order to accept payments?

If you mean a paypal business account then no, but if you trade using a personal paypal account then you have limits that you have to keep too, like only being able to withdraw 1500 to your bank.

3) Am I right in saying, customers no longer need to be a paypal member in order to purchase, and can just tap in there credit card details?

Good point, im not too sure. People use to have to have a paypal acount to make a payment and if they didnt have one it was very easy to register. Gonna have a look at that myself to see if the situation has changed.

4) What are paypal like when it comes to thing like refunds?

Paypal is just a facilitator of payments so refund would come from yourself to your custoemr or the other way around. Which ever way its just a matter of 'sending money' to a specified email address.

5) would you say there are the cheapest option to use, especially I want to keep start up costs to a minimum

It is cheap to use as there are no fees involved in setting up the paypal shopping cart system. Paypal do however, chrage you a fee everytime you recieve cash, or tramsfer cvash to your bank account (unless your a business paypal user who is withdrawing over 50.00)

Hope that helps. But the best way to learn about paypal is logging onto their website: www.paypal.co.uk

TheBoss
01-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks very much to both of you, much appreciated

bb99
02-03-2005, 09:45 AM
If your customers will be paying < 100 and will be based in the UK... then I recommend Nochex.

Advantages over PayPal:

- Slightly lower fees
- Guarantee of no chargebacks

Failing that, I've found PayPal to be fine now that they have amended their system so that buyers don't have to have a PayPal account.

Hope that helps.

igmaynard
02-03-2005, 02:05 PM
I use Paypal and Nochex, and both generally run smoothly without any difficulties. However, one annoying thing with Paypal is sometimes the customer gets all the way through to check-out only to receive an error message. This is usually because they need to amend the security settings on their browser, but no clues are given. But other problems can occur, like incompatibility with Windows NT and also when someone attempts to send a payment but they have already created a (long defunct) account with the same email address.

Which is why I give them the option of 2 payment systems.