PDA

View Full Version : Loans and Grants - Quick Question

Fastchick
01-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere that provides grants and loans.

I am looking at setting up a market stall along side a website selling ladies lingerie catering for the lower, middle and higher sides of the market.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

thanks

nikki
(fastchick)

ajdriver
01-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I got a phone call from the princess trust yesterday. They offer 'soft loans'. Basically they will guarantee the bank loan up to 75%. They are also the people who offer grants. About 95% of what they finance is in terms of loans and they donít give out as many grants as they make out. The guy said they only give grants to disadvantage people and areas. I have herd from another forum that it is worth pursuing and that they will try and say no as early as they can.

james constant
02-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi

you could apply for the Small Business Loan Guarantee Scheme. This is a scheme that is addressed to new busineses which have no initial capital or security. The Goverment guarantees 75% of the capital to the bank in return for a slightly higher interest rate to compensate for the risk the banks undertake (!). You will need to see a bank that does the Scheme. They will probably ask you for a business plan.

Hope this helps
James Constant FCCA
http://www.taxadviceuk.com
FREE Tax Newsletters & Tax Tips addressed to small businesses how to save taxes, written in plain lenguage.

Babylon
27-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Fastchick
Hi

I am looking at setting up a market stall along side a website selling ladies lingerie catering for the lower, middle and higher sides of the market.

Nikki, are you sure it is possible to sell to middle and higher income group customers through a market stall? Personally, I would associate a market stall with customers from lower income groups. Am I missing something here? Please make sure your targeted customer segment(s) are appropriate for a market stall.

The same question applies to the proposed web site. What I'm saying here is that you cannot have a bhs branch and harrods under the same roof. They are perfectly successful business models separately but not as a combined business.

Good luck with your venture.

Regards,