PDA

View Full Version : Here's my Small Business News Review

Alex Bellinger
24-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I promised to produce a weekly review of small business and enterprise sections of the UK national press. Well it's here (http://www.originpr.co.uk/viewpoint.html).

Hopefully you'll find it useful. Any feedback would be most appreciated either here or direct to me. Your comments will help me improve the service to suit you guys and other potential readers.

If you do like it, please let others know it's available.

Best wishes

Alex

richard.h
24-01-2005, 12:38 AM
some feedback:

I enjoyed reading it!

I know it's hard considering the stories are in the printed papers, but would it be possible to put a link to relevant articles online (for further reading).

How about a list in the publication of all the sources used (would be nice to see it in a list rather than re-reading).

Good stuff though, and i read it online ;)

James A
24-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Great job. Enjoyed the brief yet informative presentation.
For top marks I would suggest you reference all your stories to enhance the credibility. It could also help you in the future if you decide to provide access to say an archive of Small business news.

Keep up the good work.

Alex Bellinger
24-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Richard, James,

I'm glad you both enjoyed reading the review and thank you both for the speedy and useful feedback.

Links to the online articles is a good idea and will be possible in some cases, but not all. The Daily Express, for example, has no detailed online content on this subject. Other sites, like the Daily Telegraph, require you to register.

I'll list the sources at the beginning, but wasn't quite sure, James, what you had in mind by referencing the stories. Let me know in a little more detail and I'll see if I can implement.

Many thanks

Alex

James A
24-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll try my best to explain what I have in mind.

By referencing, I meant a 'FULL' details of your source i.e
Daily Express 18/01/05 page 34

Also as a sugesstion:
I'm assuming you are going to archive your work and you might think about eventually allowing access to them online sometime in the future. It might help to design an indexing system now while you are still at the early stages. For example;

0105-01010334 could indicate (in human readable format) -- Jan05- week01 topic01 Daily Mail page34.

Using the human readable format will allow your readers to instantly recognise and collect the information more easily by refering to References at the bottom of your weekly newsreview or on your webpage.
It will also help you when it comes to categorising your work for database usage.

I hope I've helped and not hinder.

Good luck,

James

Alex Bellinger
25-01-2005, 12:45 AM
It takes quite a long time to produce these news reviews, so the positive feedback is much appreciated. :)

Suggestions have been very useful. James, thanks for elucidating - I think a decent referencing system would be useful and yours looks very straight-forward.

Best wishes

Alex