Hi everyone!

Quick summary:

- Solomon, 24 years old, North London
- Started new business 10 months ago
- Selling Property Insurance
- expanding - but very slowly
- Havn't advertised anywhere, all through networking and
word of mouth

Asyou may know, it is very hard to market property insurance as even though it is something every property owner must have it is basically a very boring product!

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could market my new company????

BEN
21-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Solomon,

You will probably get more feedback if you post this in the general business section.

Also, your poll has no options!!

My ideas:

Website (but I would say that!!)
Give freebies out in the city on Saturdays, especially for kids...........balloon's are cheap and a good marketing tool

Nice car graphics? (thinking on the lines like BSN driving school)...if you have a car.

My main advice, dont make it boring, make it fun and engergetic........tell yourself its not boring as this may come across in your sales pitches/presantations etc.

Good luck,
Ben.

1nzvestor
21-01-2005, 11:58 PM
I have some great suggestions for you Solomon.

Drop me through an email.

As Ben says, your product has potential.

Hot Igloo
25-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Hi Solomon!

As Ben says, get a website first of all ;) Quite apart from anything else, it lets you take your marketing campaign online, which can be cheaper and more effective than more conventional marketing.

Networking is a good way to get yourself some new clients; you've already discovered how effective word of mouth is (probably the best - and cheapest!- type of marketing you can do), and networking should help you do that - maybe see if there are any networking groups in your area.

Quite apart from that, what you really need to do is work out who you want to target with your marketing. It always works better if you aim at a partcular niche, rather than just trying to market to all and sundry. Once you've identified who you want to reach with your campaign, you'll have a better idea of how you can reach them, and what kind of marketing will be most effective.

I think Ben's on the right lines by saying you need to convince yourself it's not boring! Go for something really vibrant and fresh - most people who sell insurance stick with the "boring" image, and marketing yourself as the business that makes insurance interesting might at least set you apart, lol!

Oh, and feel free to drop me a line if you think we can help!

Marketeer
25-01-2005, 01:23 AM
"Your business has potential"

As if insurance was something you had stumbled onto (has anyone else found out about this "insurance" thing yet?).

That may be a bit curt but all I would say is don't go believing others just becasue they praise you/your idea.

Learn more about marketing - check out the CIM website for a few pointers.

1nzvestor
25-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Not meant in that way.

Solomon's personal business has potential (not the insurance industry in general)
It just needs the right marketing/branding/focus and it will start to pick-up.

Solomon
25-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Every one.

Thanks for your replies.

Firstly, I do not regard my business as boring, I simply know that the product I am selling is classed as boring! Of course I never portray this to any of my clients/potential clients, but used it on this site to clearly explain why it is hard to market this product.

since I have taken over this business, I have increased profits by 70% , therefore I know the potential it has. What I need though is a way to advertise my company in a CHEAP, enthusastic and simple manner.

It is easy to think of ideas which cost thousands of pounds but unfortunately I am not in the position yet to do this.

I have an internet site, but my hits are minmal due to the simple fact that the only place it is advertised is on my business card.

www.goldsealservices.com if anyone is interested!

So, if anyone has any ideas of where to put links to my site or any other cheap and original ideas for advertising please continue posting.

Many thanks again!

Alex Bellinger
27-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Solomon

I've had a quick look at your website and it looks good. As an insurance broker are you tied to a few suppliers or are you able to guarantee customers you'll be able to get them the best deal?

If the latter is the case, then you might well be able to get some positive PR in local media which, with a bit of luck, could generate more than any ad, for a fraction of the price.

I'm quite happy to give you some free hints and tips, if you need them. I was once heavily involved in personal finance public relations.

Best wishes

Alex

james constant
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi

first of all I sell a "boring" produc as I am a tax advisor. So, I think I am well positioned to give you some ideas. I know it's a tough world out there for people like us who sell an intangible service to people who might not realise the value out of it.

Second, you need to concentrate on a niche market and target that.

How do you do that?

A website would help. But a website that's different and unusual from those of the other "boring" ones in the same trade as you. Give some free information to create some interest and create desire for targets to contact you to find out more.

Second, get yourself some free advertising by publishing a press release on hot and interesting topics in your sector.

Third, team up with other professionals to exchange business.

Best of luck!
James Constantine FCCA
http://www.taxadviceuk.com
FREE Tax newsletters & Tax Tips written in plain language and addressed to small businesses on how to beat the taxman.