PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Den

aztec
12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Did anyone see last night's edition of Dragon's Den?

I must admit that I didn't, or still don't think the woman's business proposal (who won the funding) was very good. I struggle to see how the business could grow to such a size to warant the amount of investment that has already and is currently being invested into it. Maybe it's just me.

The guy with the airoplane (PAV) was interesting. Such a low amount of investment required for what could potentially be the Ford of personal airoplanes!

Scott

abz007
12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I watched the programme last night. The lady is targeting a niche market and I think she will succeed in the long run. I don't think that the lady will be able to generate enough revenue in the first year to buy back 10% of the stake for 100K from the Dragoness (lady dragon).

The plane idea was a cool and i think the dragons didn't invest in the idea because the guy was not willing to explainthe mechanism of the engine. I would have (if i was a milllionaire) invested with this guy.

richard.h
12-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't know much about womens custom tailoring, but i think the woman pitching and Rachel Elnaugh probably do.

I thought the comment about her not being suitable (pun!) because she has a child was outrageous: i've not seen them ask any of the men that question.

Then again, it's TV so it was probably edited that way to get the reaction.

I loved watching the two guys doing that dotcom music product, what a double act! Quite amusing that they didn't have a technical guy on board with them.

aztec
12-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I guess the fact that the woman is tapping a niche market and is in the lot's a money circle of females, that it could do well.

The double act (musiccontrol) were very funny. I don't know who in their right mind would build their business on software they don't own, have no control over or know how to code. If I was them I would have said that this was a proof of concept and we need money to get our own software coded.

It's all good fun.

Ken
12-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I got home late last night and only caught the very last few mins....what was the woman with the short blonde hair trying to get funding for?the one whose cash was due to un out in 8 wks?
Couldn't work out what she was trying to do?

aztec
12-01-2005, 01:17 PM
She was selling made to measure suits and other business clothing to the 'proffesional mature female executive'. The aim is/was to visit these woman in their own homes/offices and sell them made to measure clothes. The suits sell for 600.

richard.h
12-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Ken
I got home late last night and only caught the very last few mins....what was the woman with the short blonde hair trying to get funding for?the one whose cash was due to un out in 8 wks?
Couldn't work out what she was trying to do?

www.grails.co.uk

Ken
12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
600 is a lot of money...who are they trying to aim for as a customer? I can see the commercial logic behind it if it's for a specific section ,eg,larger sizes , but otherwise,I don't know - if you're in the mkt for a couture suit/dress/whatever;wouldn't you be more inclined to go for something which has brand association with it ? (eg,Jermyn St etc) or maybe I'm just shallow ?
Or maybe I'd get a cheap flight to HK and get one made up there by a tailor for xxx of the price and have a holiday at the same time ?!!

This whole notion of having services/products personalized seems to be a growing trend though and it's really interesting to see different companies takes on how they do it.
I did read that TopShop is starting their own personal tailoring service instore at their Oxford St branch...offering women the opportunity to have a uniquely tailored,fitting "garment"...but then again,the concept of unique tailoring in that context only extends as far as being able to choose the garment you want made fitting to your own measurements from a possible 6 dresses that they are prepared to do under this service?
too much choice/'individuality' is a bad thing - esp. for the retailer when it comes to working out a viable returns policy ! argh !

Ken
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
I wonder if any of the ,erm,"contestants" ever get to read any of these scathing opinions of their biz plans/performance on here ???!!!!

(yikes)

aztec
12-01-2005, 02:14 PM
On a similar note, I purchased a book from Amazon the other day called ' how I made it'. It's produced by The Times and gives 40 accounts from 40 succesfull entrepreneurs on, well, how they made it funnily enough.

Reccomended reading!

Agree on the 'crappola' comment!

target101
12-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Just a comment about the woman with the designer suits for high-earning ladies.

What i found incredible was that she was giving herself a 75,000 salary - seemed to me that she was fleecing her own company before it was even established to me.

I found that amazing when she came out with it.

Great programme though...i wish we could see all the pitches, including the brief ones that are mentioned inbetween the featured pitches.

Dan

Martin
12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah,

Amazing really that she's looking for £120k funding yet willing to take £75k from a startup business!

And to justify herself she says it's a drop from £200,000 per year ! ....

OMG

Does anyone else think thats mad? ....

Lemme see..... Work on a good but average persons wage.. say £30k per year for 5 years.

Thats £170k per year over 5 years.... Thats £850,000 ..ok minus or plus a bit.....

This is from a woman thats put £90k into the business.....

I personally think that woman wants her cake and to eat it now... But she paid the price in the deal of the funding from the dragons.

Buy Back 10% @ £100k in a years time... haha.

webprojectuk
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Mother Care are paying 200,000 per year? Well, then I am in the wrong job.

It does not take a geniuses to work out if you start a business on your own you will have to cut back on few things in order to make it work. However, this should pay off in long term if it works out.

Taken 70,000 for yourself within the first year when you only have 30 customers is totally mad.

well, we all say this but she ended up with the money.