PDA

View Full Version : info required on Mobile phones business

rickhulme
12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
HI

I am looking to set up an independant mobile phone shop to sell mainly sim free phones and contracts for all networks.

can any forum members help with the following:

1) sim free mobile phone suppliers (anywhere)

2) info on how to go about getting the backing of the 5 major airtime networks

3) any other info specific to mobile phone business, staff training manuals etc...

4) current market info for uk on mobile phones

I would likke to thank forum members in advance for taking a look and any help given.

cheers

Rick

Statler
13-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,

If you are aged 16-30 and register online with Shell LiveWIRE at http://www.shell-livewire.org/cgi-bin/register.pl (this is different from registering for the Discussion Forum), you will be able to download two booklets - 'Market Research for the First Time' and 'Writing your First Business Plan'. You will also be sent a factsheet dealing with your particular business idea (Mobile Phone Retailer), which you may find helpful.

budda
15-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I think the mobile market is pretty competitive market to be trying to get in to.

A friend bought "The Phone People" chain of mobile stores a few years back. There sales were pretty low and eventually closed down.

jklondon
15-12-2004, 05:18 PM
if youre still keen and would consider reselling drop me a line.

webprojectuk
15-12-2004, 06:16 PM
I would agree. Too many people are going for the mobile business.

But you never know if you have pride in what you do then things may be different for you.

Thanks.
webprojectuk

Adam
17-12-2004, 04:35 PM
All good points raised but I think the biggest problem is judging by your post you know nothing about it other than you want to "jump on the bandwagon" and have a "me too" business.

I have done about 2 yrs in the industry and worked around it very quickly. There is money to be made with hard work or by finding your place.

Coming up against Phones 4U on price is not likely to be good and CPW has very strong brand support.

The independents make a living by loyalty, location and lots of work. Affiliate sites rely on the usual of hundereds of people visiting your site and a tiny percentage buying earning you 10 - 15.

Networks are beginnig to move away from the multiples and indies to network shops and direct. Online will see a boost because margins are shrinking (with the exception of Three) so removing retail costs is the best way to stay keen on price which of course online retailers do well. Dial-a-phone and E2Save are your big online dealers with a number of affiliates running of there.

Best piece of advice is whether or not you go with mobiles, Pick something you know!