PDA

View Full Version : New publication

timmoff
22-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I've been researching the possibility of starting up a publication in my area. I have done my research, and although not a revolutionary idea i feel a niche does exist. As with any publication I expect it to be funded and make a profit via advertising sales. My problem is over the first couple of issues e.g. attracting advertisers to a new magazine as I do lack initial funding. Do you think it is unreasonable to attempt to gain some kind of magazine sponsor - be it a local company (this would be quite fitting for the magazine type). Again the difficulty lies in having a hypothetical magazine that is not yet in publication. This will also be a problem when selling ad space in advance.... does anyone have any ideas please... I would appreciate your insight.

Thank you

1nzvestor
23-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Tim, what area are you in?
Who / what sector will the magazine be targeting ?

timmoff
25-10-2004, 10:47 AM
In short its a basic jobs publication with a few original 'twists'. I know the market is pretty much saturated but if handled correctly and the area I'm in it should work. Target audience is young professionals but naturally the mag will have a very broad readership. Thanks for your reply.

awhite6000
02-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I am a graphic designer and have worked on many starting publications and I have a suggestion. contact companies who have products to sell and local tradesmen. These companies always need advertising but also give them an incentive such as book five ads and get one free or offer some sort of loyalty discount. Also, aproach a printer and ask them if they can part sponser the magazine for free advertising space or a feature section on their company. Printers aways work to margins and you can certainly get a good deal from them by asking these questions.

good luck.
awhite6000

Rachel Habacus
11-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Tim,

Where are you located?

Rachel

timmoff
14-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Rachel....

haven't been on the site for sometime, have just seen your question - I'm not disclosing the location!!! playing cards close to chest!!! perfectly viable question, but why exactly do you ask??!!! Thank you.

Rachel Habacus
14-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I was wondering if you were in London?

Rachel

alittledemonmed
22-01-2005, 09:57 PM
You'll need a sales team. All the big publising houses have one. You could try it yourslef...

1nzvestor
22-01-2005, 11:48 PM
The problem selling ad space is likely to be compounded by the fact that no one knows the location or the genre of your magazine.

Feel free to email me if you wish. Starting a magazine is the last thing I have time to do right now, but at least I may be able to point you in the direction of people who can help.