PDA

View Full Version : Your Killer marketing idea !!!

Encantador
17-10-2004, 10:18 PM
The website is nearly ready. The service being offered is local, the only option the public have at present costs them money, ours will be FREE.
We will make money (hopefully) by selling a service to businesses when and only when we have a busy site, we must get the FREE service to the public out there and as quickly as possible.

We will have a logo and a easy to remember domain name. We will start with local newspaper advertising, plus flyers in shop windows, we then need some killer marketing ideas to keep up the momentum, they need to be inexpensive or even better FREE. We have time to spare.

We will be targeting a reasonable sized town with a town centre, shopping centre, ring road and approx 10-15 main roads in and out of the town. There are many suberbs with housing estates and shopping areas.

Lets assume for the next 3 months we are prepared to send one person out for 2-3 hours a day just to promote the website. We need to put the website in front of as many people as possible as quickly as possible at minimal cost (not including time).

What would your Killer idea be?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Eagle
17-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Get to work on that logo?... ;)

richard.h
17-10-2004, 11:38 PM
How about some naked streaking, with your URL tagged on your ass =)

Eagle
17-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Lol, fine first post there, Richard.

But let's get serious now and help Steve out... :)

richard.h
18-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Tee-hee :cool:

What's the product Steve / who are your targeted markets?

JamieM
18-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Richard.H
How about some naked streaking, with your URL tagged on your ass =)

To be honest something along those lines is not a bad idea.

Dynamik Events
18-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Try and create a story that your local paper and radio may find newsworthy. Ring them up and ask if they'd like to do a piece on a local company, blah blah blah.

Let them do the piece on you and follow it with advertising, the cost will be marginal, but you'd be surprised how many people read the local newspaper.

Nath

Encantador
18-10-2004, 12:44 PM
.... for the ideas so far, some I like far more than others (;0)

Our target market is the general public, many will not need our service today but may in the future.

I deliberately did not say what the idea was to avoid the thread going down a Is `It a good idea` type route.

We basically need to put the web address in front of as many people as possible, some will need us today, others may need us in the future. Even if they are paying elsewhere, they could still use us too, it`s FREE so why wouldn`t they.

I should have said, we have already planned the obvious routes, like press releases etc.

We are looking for perhaps some more inventive ideas.

We are having some largish posters with logo and web address printed and put onto 3ft x 2ft boards, we plan to put them at busy traffic junctions during rush hour. Good idea?

We have a consignment of 12v messengers that play a scrolling message across the rear screen in a car. You can put different messages (like you see in the doctors surgery only smaller) in and play them using a remote control, or just leave it running.
We are talking to some cab companies about putting one in each car for a small fee. Good idea?

Any more?????

Thanks again.

Steve
PS We have more of the messengers than we need, we will be putting some on ebay soon 50 plus p&p if interested keep your eyes open.

barefoot_boo
18-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Get a group of mates together and tog them out in matching t-shirts with your web addy prominently splashed across the front and back. The march around town en-masse handing out flyers.

Get some balloons printed up with your url and hand them out to kids in pushchairs in town on saturday morning.

Get some car stickers printed and get everyone you know to stick one in their car.

boo

VLAHAKISA
18-10-2004, 01:08 PM
I think its pretty impossible to give you ideas without knowing the following:

- Who your target market are.
- What industry is it.

That doesn't give too much away, but I personally struggle to help you without knowing at least that.

Regards

Amanda

Encantador
18-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Everyone we know will have one of the messengers described above in their cars.

Amanda, as explained above, our target market is everybody in the town. There is no way of knowing how many or which people might want to use our service over the next few months/years.

Our domain name is the town name and one other short word, so hopefully easily remembered should they need us now or in the future.

Can`t see why the `industry` matters. If you were targeting a service to people selling their house, you wouldn`t want to taget just people on the narket now, you would target anyone and everyone that might sell at some point in the future too.

Does this help?

Thanks

Steve

mattstreet
18-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Have you checked with the police that the car messengers are legal, as it maybe a distraction to drivers?

Matt Street
http://www.bitsnbobs.co.uk

Encantador
18-10-2004, 01:34 PM
They are legal and no more distracting than reading advertising on the back of a bus or on the side of the road for that matter.

Steve

Ian J
18-10-2004, 02:36 PM
killer marketing idea for a local area maybe - cheap no - but how about a signwritten classic van. One of the old vintage or reproduction vintage is best but any old classic type van will do together with some catchy signwriting and this can be driven around the town and parked up in prominent places

John
18-10-2004, 08:11 PM
You can find some papers on PR and marketing in the relevant section here:

http://www.forum4business.com/f4b_library/index.htm

There's loads of information and lots of tips.

John

Dynamik Events
19-10-2004, 02:56 AM
Hey,
Ok the press release is pretty mundain i agree. If you want a marketing idea that is used by few until now try......changing rooms!

Basically a cathy and funky poster (that could be designed by many of the people in this forum) will be enough to secure you a place on the wall next to the mirror with a well rehearsed sales pitch of many classes of clothes shop. This is something that is new yet is hugely successfull having looked at previous sales ideas.

To mirror the views of others on the forum, if you gave an idea of the target audience im sure that regular posters and others would find that they could help you more precisely as all marketing stems from the customer targeted. I think you should have some faith that people aren't going to run off and steal your idea and try and benefit from some expertise from the site.

VLAHAKISA
19-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Personally I don't see how telling us the industry is going to give anything away at all - apparently the target market is absolutely everyone - which is unusual for many businesses.

Regards

Amanda

Ken
20-10-2004, 08:29 AM
One relatively cost effective idea I am currently about to put in practice is to place advertising for my service in taxis.
I contacted the owner of a local taxi company and negotiated a mutually helpful advertising deal.

He has agreed to let me place small sticky labels on both inside windows of his taxis ,just above the door lock.He has 50 taxis under his control,all of which operate in the specific area I am hoping to target.
The idea being,that when people sit in the back seat they will have their eyes automatically drawn to my label.
I have paid for small 85mm x 55mm vinyl labels (sticky bottomside) - these are clean cut,very simple with logo ,website and tel. address.Total cost : 57.

This way, (hopefully!) both of us will benefit as he will gain some form of ' internet presence' via his details appearing on our website (in the form of a popup,as well as his relevant details appearing in our website crawler page) as well as the possibility of increased taxi revenues bringing customers to and from my 'service' as we will use him as our sole,recommended form of transportation.

I can't speak yet as to whether it is effective or not , but compared to the prospect of trying to advertise in local papers (which can be expensive and pretty useless as people just bin them) or trying one off marketing extravaganzas , I'm hoping this might pan out in the longer term.

K.

Whizzergo
22-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I thoroughly beleive that no publicity is bad publicity, and the key to getting your website up and running is to get publicity offline, because there is just too much spam and rubbish on the internet now for most sites to catch the eye.