PDA

View Full Version : Direct marketing

iccomms
12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi

I have tried advertising in things like the yellow pages but I want to try some advertising that is direct telling people what I offer.

I only really work with businesses and want to advertise somewhere where lots of people are going to see it without having to look very far. I thought about mail drops but the reply rate is only meant to be small which means a large investment.

If any one has any ideas about direct marketing I would be interested.

Thanks

elaborations
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
maybe try exhibiting at business exhibitions. I know there is one in Novemeber - the business startup one. But there are others.

iccomms
12-10-2004, 04:38 PM
That sounds like a good idea have you got any contact details or websites about any exhibitions?

elaborations
12-10-2004, 04:43 PM
If you are based in London look on the following websites - you should be able to find them in google - these are the main exhibition centres.

Olypmia
Excel
Wembley
Earls Court

CHeck out their websites and see what events they have - make sure you are looking a few months in advance, or even a year. Then you can contact the organisers of a particular event.

iccomms
12-10-2004, 04:48 PM
I am not based in london but I will have a look for exhibition centres around the north west maybe birmingham.

Thanks

elaborations
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
nec is a massive exhibition centre - and they also host the business startup event.

iccomms
12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
any one else have any suggestions??

natasha
12-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Forums???

iccomms
12-10-2004, 08:19 PM
What you mean advertise in forums as in banners or just in signatures and posts??

natasha
12-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Yes both, have you tried that?
Have you tried ecademy?

iccomms
12-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I havent tried advertising on forums most business forums want alot of cash for not many impressions.

What is ecademy? Never heard of it.

natasha
13-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi

Ecademy is a business networking forum, be great for you.
Check it out www.ecademy.com

Regarding forums, I would suggest that you just advertise in your signiture and offer your services when needed.

Good luck

i-check
13-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I agree with Natasha about Ecademy. It is a great way to network and meet a variety of different business people. When you first join try to offer as much advice as possible. In the early days expect to put more into netrworking than you get out of it. In time this will pay off.

gwhaskew
13-10-2004, 12:57 PM
what is it your trying to market? a friend of mine did really well, by just giving out flyers outside a busy tesco for a few hours. but that might not suit your business.

iccomms
13-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi gwhaskew

I am marketing non geographic numbers most of which are free. I supply to businesses so leaflets might not be the best way.

choc
13-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi, i do something very similar to you with a company called Telecomplus and i cold call biz's offering them a free freephone number and would they like a quick meeting to explain how it works..Works for me!!! Maildrop is another good and cheap way..

iccomms
13-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I tried cold calling for a while but I never seemed to get a good response.

I think it could work if I designed a script and phoned enough businesses.

I might try it again with a bit more planning.

Adam
13-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Iccomms

At www.youcangetit.co.uk we charge just 20 a month for the forum with huge page views (details on application)

If you are a top level player in the market then we can cobrand with you.

Ken
14-10-2004, 05:48 PM
i hate cold callers.
i would never buy anything from them on principle.

Adam
14-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Ken, lets agree to disagree but I hate that attitude.

Bartering and going to the neighbouring farm with your chicken looking for half a pig is what we have built our lives on.

What is wrong with taking your offering to the customers and saying who wants it?

We can't all afford TV ads or Google placements.

We used to have town cryiers giving the news, shame they didn't do adverts.

iccomms
14-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I think cold calling maybe a cheap option for me but I will have to learn to take rejection because when I have tried it in the past the people havent been the nicest to speak to.

Cold calling must work because otherwise businesses wouldn't do it.

Any one else had good experience with cold calling?

Elleis
15-10-2004, 10:51 AM
When I was younger I used to do cold calling on a commission only basis. It was hard work, and you do have to learn to take rejection, but it can be very worthwhile.

Here are a few tips
- be confident that what you are selling is a great product, your confidence will come across
- accept that it isn't for everyone, have a few qualifying questions, and if someone doesn't qualify you know when to move on
- The more people you see the bigger your chance is of a sale.
- Stop thinking of NO as rejection and treat it as one step closer to a sale( the more people you see the more sales you have the potential to achieve)
- be clear that you are pitching to a decision maker
- be nice to receptionists, they have the power to help you or hinder you
- spend more time listening to the customer and less time talking
- when you do get a sale, push for a recommendation. Most business people know other business people, and a personal recommendation is so much better than a salesman telling you it is good.

Hope these help.

BEN
15-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Good thread this, as I have been cold calling this week (not massive volumes though).

Those tips sure will come in handy! My advice:

Be Nice
Be Yourself
&
Be-lieve!!!

Its hard when you get rejected, but they dont get the pleasure in working with you.........so its their loss!

When you can tell someone isnt interested, like in my case someone said:

"I wont be neededing a web site till a year away".......I asked if it would be ok to send a letter to them so my details were on file (this has worked a few times as they get rid of me this way!!). So I then follow up with a great sales letter, detailing quickly what I do, how I do it etc & then made an offer that might tempt them to think again.

Maybe we could all add to this thread & turn it into a "cold calling tips sheet". So we can all use each others ideas & experiances to make a great fact sheet.

For instance, top of the list..........make sue you check that they are not on the TPS list www.numberchecker.co.uk

Ben.

Statler
15-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi,

If you have access to the Be Your Own Boss section of our site, then you may find the articles on Sales of interest:

http://www.shell-livewire.org/beyourownboss/main.php?catid=4&subcatid=6

BEN
15-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi Starsky,

Will all due respect to that article, a couple of paragraphs detailing what cold calling is about...........isnt really useful to this thread. (unless I missed something on the BYOB section?)

Myself, personally.............want useful tips & advice! What works, how to approach potential customer on the phone, how to close deals, get appointments, sweet talk the PA/receptionists....make people WANT your service.

I know there is no magic formula, but there has to be proven methods that get people interested in what you are selling..............

Things like these articles:

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/cs/marketing/a/coldcall.htm

http://www.better-business.co.uk/02startabusiness/cold_calling.shtm

Things like:
9. Dealing with rejection
Keep a log of your calls and categorise the responses. Most people will say no because they're too busy or have no budget: it's nothing personal. If somebody is rude, politely bring the conversation to an end. Don't dwell on the encounter. Remember the rudeness is a reflection of the other person's failings: perhaps frustration at not being a decision-maker, severe stress or plain bad temper.

Taken from:
http://jobsadvice.guardian.co.uk/directaction/story/0,14394,1181158,00.html

Thats what I want....................others may have found the BYOB article useful though.

Ben

[/constructive]

Statler
15-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Ben,

In my defence, I was pointing people to the 20+ articles (and links within) on Sales (generating leads, preparation, negotiating, etc), rather than to just the Cold Calling article.

BEN
15-10-2004, 01:38 PM
oops.............sorry.

Statler
15-10-2004, 01:40 PM
No problem!

iccomms
15-10-2004, 03:02 PM
thanks people Iwill take it all on board and try my luck at cold calling again.

Ken
15-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Look: how many times do I have to tell you...?
I DON'T want a new kitchen/BT supplier/holiday in Spain/timeshare......

(*lol)

iccomms
15-10-2004, 04:39 PM
ooo sorry wont call again

<ten mins later the phone rings>

openmind
15-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Interesting set of opinions there...

I have done cold calling and, much as I hated it, had a good rate of response. It's only effective though if you follow a few simple rules:

1 - Research your call before making it. Find out about the business and the person you will be calling.

2 - Make sure you have your objections covered in response to "Too expensive", "Don't need one", etc

3 - Do have a "script" to remind of key points but don't plan it word for word or it will sound like you're just reading it off..

4 - Use open questions not closed ones

5 - Put the question if they say they are not interested that "If my product saved you x over the next six months, would that interest you?" They cannot say no to that unless they enjoy losing money!

6 - Smile on the phone and be enthusiastic, it will shine through..

7 - Put some humour into it! I often started off a call by saying "Can I just ask how many cold calls you've had today? OK well here's number 15!" Always broke the ice if said in the right way...

8 - Send out your letter/free gift/leaflet first and then follow up with a call. That way you can genuinely say that your call is following up on the intial ad.

To those that don't like getting cold calls, register with the TPS! ;)

At the end of the day, if done properly, cold calling is highly effective and will increase your sales. One prime example of this was a call that I made to someone who was no interested but knew someone else who would be. Result? 2k of new business...

iccomms
15-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tips phil.

I thought about faxing through a leaflet first to give them something to read and then follow up with a call a few days later.