PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth starting a dating website

master-de-bater
03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
is it worth starting a dating website and do you think it could become profitable with big sites such as Dating Direct taking alot of the market?

Thank you for your opinion in advance

natasha
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi

If i was single, then i personally wouldn't pay to join a dating agency.

But thats just my opinion.

Good luck

Adam
03-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Like everything web related, starting a dating website is not enough.

Like offline businesses in this field you need marketing money and MEMBERS!

If you can market the site and get a lot of members then okay but there are many sites out there not really working.

asherwood
03-10-2004, 09:43 PM
In what way would your site be different from all those other sites out there?

master-de-bater
03-10-2004, 10:34 PM
lol, good point, I'm not sure how it would be different, although I would try to focus more on a 'community' feel, better customer service, alot cheaper - possibly the cheapest monthly charge.

kayemdesign
05-10-2004, 12:49 AM
The market leader for this is www.match.com part of the MSN Network. If you fancy trying to compete with these guys - good luck! Seriously though, its a tough nut to crack. Without a marketing budget of £xxx's or online traffic of millions per month - I would advise wasting your time.

Good luck though :)

Steve

JayKay
05-10-2004, 09:25 AM
I had this idea at some point. I would rather use it to advertise my other websites. I think 99% of the users are not there to find a partner but for fun. I was client of match.com when I came in the UK and had to relatives and no friends. Could not find anything suitable ... I was looking for friends not for partner, really ... people are there only for fun.

kayemdesign
05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JayKay
I had this idea at some point. I would rather use it to advertise my other websites. I think 99% of the users are not there to find a partner but for fun. I was client of match.com when I came in the UK and had to relatives and no friends. Could not find anything suitable ... I was looking for friends not for partner, really ... people are there only for fun.

My sister met her husband through Match.com. I think it appeals to both as the site does cater for both. I think you would face the same problems as someone starting up a Friends Re-united style site - the model is already there and unless you can improve the model or offer something different its a non-starter unless you have a huge budget.

Just my opinion though.

Steve