PDA

View Full Version : Website - what do you think??

The_JinJ
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Got the basics of my site down - www.eflexi.co.uk
Adding content and I'll tidy it up, add graphics etc..

What are your general thoughts on it...ohhh be gentle please lol

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I suppose it looks OK, but you have no products and no customers. Perhaps it is time to rethink your priorities.

The_JinJ
09-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by AsMustard
I suppose it looks OK, but you have no products and no customers. Perhaps it is time to rethink your priorities.

It's not a product selling orientated site!
Customers section is probably coming out for the moment....

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 03:03 PM
What's it for then?

Yours Faithfully
09-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't know much about web sites but I like the look of it.

The_JinJ
09-09-2004, 03:07 PM
What's it for then?

IT Support
Products will be after....

obviously not working if you never realised what its for..:/

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 03:11 PM
In what sense is the provision of IT support not a product?

The_JinJ
09-09-2004, 03:15 PM
In what sense is the provision of IT support not a product?

It's listed under services......I get what your saying - i'll remove products for now
Any constructive criticism? ;)

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 03:17 PM
That was intended to be constructive. I was trying to get you to focus on what is important about a business, and it isn’t a website or how it looks.

robnights
09-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Try using CSS, it will make it look more proffesional.

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 04:33 PM
What will making it look more professional achieve? I am not picking on you, Neil, but there is an illusion that pervades this forum that having a pretty web site or a nice logo equates to having a business, and it doesn’t.

bone
09-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I really like the site, really professional looking and gives a good first impression of your company

nice one Neil!

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM
AsMustard stares at brick wall and bangs head against it.

bone
09-09-2004, 04:49 PM
bang it harder ;)

bone
09-09-2004, 04:50 PM
I was only joking by the way, I will not be held responsible for you banging your head against a wall :)

shamrocker
09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
What will making it look more professional achieve?

What planet are you on? It'll achieve a lot more than than having a cr4p looking design that's for sure. We'll assume that the engine of the business is running efficiently and professionally, now how do we increase our client base? We market ourselves effectively, that's how. A web site is one means of marketing and for many small businesses it might be their only means - therefore I feel a professional looking site is a must!

The site looks good to me, crisp and clean. Could do with a few more images to add a bit of brighness possibly. Keep up the good work!

AsMustard
09-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Shane, you are begging the question, which means you are basing one statement on a fact that has itself not been proved. You are saying that having a good website is better than having a bad one, when you have not yet demonstrated that having a website is of any benefit at all in marketing a business.

I pity the small business who has only the web as a means of marketing. It is tantamount to a classified ad in a newspaper with several million pages and is certainly not “a must”, but like any other business expense should be invested in only following a full cost/benefit analysis. If the web is so effective, why is it that even the most established web businesses, such as Yahoo, spend many millions of pounds on conventional advertising?

Lastly, and in answer to your initial query, I would of thought my use of grammar and sentence structure would have demonstrated the fact that I was on Earth. Something not quite as evident from your post. What planet are you on?

shamrocker
09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I think you are missing the point. A web site is a widely used point of communication and contact with existing and potential customers. I agree you can't just have a web site and leave it at that - people need to be made aware of it. Any business worth their salt these days will most likely have a web site. If they don't it is conspicuous in its absence. If I place an advert in a magazine for a certain product or service that is being supplied by me I will include a means of contact in that advert so that interested parties can find more information - one being a web site. Surely it is very important for the image of your business that the web site is professional in appearance - how could you possibly argue with this point? A poorly designed and aesthetically unpleasing site would leave me wondering why this particular business will not spend a bit of time and a few quid to have a decent looking site. I would ask myself if their service will be of the same standard as their shabby site. The service could actually be top class, but what I have just said is the reality of how potential customers will feel. Wouldn't you feel the same?

VLAHAKISA
09-09-2004, 07:16 PM
I pity the small business who has only the web as a means of marketing. It is tantamount to a classified ad in a newspaper with several million pages and is certainly not “a must”, but like any other business expense should be invested in only following a full cost/benefit analysis. If the web is so effective, why is it that even the most established web businesses, such as Yahoo, spend many millions of pounds on conventional advertising?

1. Some businesses (mine included) use their website as the only means of marketing their business, for specific reasons in some cases (I have specific reasons for online marketing only)

2. Its clearly an effective way of marketing a business - myself and many others are living proof of this, I certainly make a living from my business despite it only having been in existance for 18 months.

3. Even those businesses using traditional marketing methods also (which if it suits them, they should continue to do as these are obviously viable also for gaining custom) should not ignore the importance of a website when trying to gain custom - it can bring in a lot of trade.

I repeat, I gain enough trade of make a decent living from online trade only after only 18 months of running my business - it would be foolish for any business to ignore a viable marketing method such as the web, and not include it in their marketing plan.

4. Those businesses who are (and should be) using the web in conjunction with their traditional marketing should definitely be concerned about the appearance of their website.

The appearance of a website (liken it to a storefront if you will, and consider that shops take great care over their storefront) has a huge impact on sales as how polished a website appears is taken as an indication of professionalism in the eyes of many potential customers.

Now onto my observations that have nothing to do with disagreeing with Mat.

1. I like the visual appeal of the website - I do feel its sufficiently professional in appearance so as to not deter any potential customers.

2. You may not have products but you have a service, which is like a product - and so this is what you will be marketing. If you don' t have physical products, its best to drop that title as its a bit confusing/misleading I think.

3. A major problem with the website is that it doesn't address any accessibility issues at all - so therefore not only are you ignoring disability laws (which many of your potential customers are likely to be aware of and perhaps view you as less professional because of this), you are stopping a large cross section of society (and potential custom again), from viewing your website.

Here is the best guide to accessibility I have seen so far, that puts it in laymans terms:http://www.edgeofmyseat.com/article/12/

There is also a useful thread on my A Home Business Club forum at: http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=club&op=forum&c=46&t=79767#endm

Best Wishes

Amanda

CharleneUK
09-09-2004, 08:01 PM
I love the site!

x

Eagle
09-09-2004, 08:30 PM
I pity the small business who has only the web as a means of marketing...
Lol, don't pity me...I'm doing very well, thank you. :)

The_JinJ
09-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys for the good and bad comments....
Will look at the disability site....
Code, layout etc needs tidied was just looking for feedback

longplay
10-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Web sites are the most cost effective way of providing further information on your services, I wouldn't have said use it instead of traditional advertising, but as a support, put your web address on the advert, then people can find out more about you.

For example, I have a printers around the corner from me, I drive past them every other day, but I haven't got a clue what services they offer. They're closed weekends and I'm usually at work until they close, so I've taken my print business elsewhere because, despite looking, they have no web site.

You can fit a lot more information on even a 5 page web site than on an A4 flyer, or a full-page magazine ad.

But, back to the point, I like the look of the site, but it could do with some pictures of people I would say, to try and humanise the service.

Dean
12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Very interested in the disability access post. I never even thought for a second about disability access to my site. How selfish eh - I'm sure that's what people with disability have to deal with all the time.

Dean
12-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I like the overall look of the site. It's birght, clean and simple. I like the logo and the extra 'x' to the right. You should maybe make your browser buttons do something when you roll over them. I'm sure there's some techy web term for that? Even if they lit up or changed colour or something would help.

Good luck with your biz
Dean

The_JinJ
13-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Dean
I like the overall look of the site. It's birght, clean and simple. I like the logo and the extra 'x' to the right. You should maybe make your browser buttons do something when you roll over them. I'm sure there's some techy web term for that? Even if they lit up or changed colour or something would help.

Good luck with your biz
Dean

Cheers...ye the buttons will be changed to some sort of subtle rollover at some point....