PDA

View Full Version : People who work from home.....

BEN
17-08-2004, 12:26 PM
......what are the down sides!!?? i.e. keeping motivated etc?

I am well aware of the good things, or else I wouldnt be doing it! lol

I am going p/t self employed working from home in october.....so was just wondering what the downers are?

Cheers,
Ben.

JayKay
17-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I work from home and I HATE IT!

Unfortunately I cannot afford to move in a proper office.

Moreover I am living in a studio flat together with my wife who works part-time so she spends lots of time at home.

BEN
17-08-2004, 12:53 PM
You hate it!!....why?

Do you get under each others feet when both of your are working...or has it improved your relationship?

Ben.

JayKay
17-08-2004, 01:00 PM
As I have already mentioned I live in a studio flat. In the same room I have the bed, the kitchen and my desk, among others ...

It is really hard to work in these conditions.

Would be different to have a separate room (I cannot wait to move from here, I expect to do so in November) ...

Adam
17-08-2004, 01:10 PM
I have a flat in Leighton Buzzard with a spare room if you want to rent it as an office?

Ben, that sounds like an ideal "weekly discussion" I am on the mobile now as I am popping out so call me.

natasha
17-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi Ben,

I wouldn't say that i'm working from home day in day out, but for me as a woman, looking after two children and trying to get any sort of work done whether its trying to design a greeting card or work on my business plan, its quite impossible!
Or if i do have a spare hour then its spent doing household chores and its very hard to keep focused.

I know that you not in that position yet( i mean the whole kid thang), but working from home even with no kids i imagen that you have to be pretty organised and disciplined to get on with the work, without getting way layed with the daytime tv soaps! LOL
It would be good to set a time table eg. time you start, time for lunch break, etc.

BizNess
17-08-2004, 01:23 PM
People who work from home.....
.................dont do any work

well i dont anyway - apparently this is the entrepreneurial way as "we" cant concentrate on one subject long enough with out thinking up another new and exciting idea.
So i need to be at work for focus :)

James Smith
17-08-2004, 01:32 PM
The key rules I use are:

Have a separate room you can shut the door on (I donít know how people work in their living rooms).

Remove anything too distracting from the room.

Firm times to start/have breaks/work to

Switch the damm machine off when you are finished so you donít work all night (I am bad at this as you can see from the times of my posts)

If there are two of you working at home you ideally need two rooms

When you are "at work" you are "at work" which means you donít go out or run errands in the daytime just because you are in the house, you run errands on your breaks or days off.

And finally break all the rules once in a while you are working from home dammit!

natasha
17-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Lol great advice James!

Rachael
17-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Like i said to you yesterday ben a huge downside is people thinking that you are just lounging at home and dont have a proper job when in reality we work just as hard or even harder then office workers!!

BizNess
17-08-2004, 03:13 PM
I find that the other half never understands and when I go to DO work I find shopping/DIY lists "just in case" stuck to the monitor!

and then there is the unreal tournament link on my desktop - that one gets me everytime :D

harlequin
17-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I work at home occasionally, sometimes i find myself in the zone but other times i find it difficult to get switched on.

Also my mrs works in retail and if her day off happens to be the same day as i am working from home, she thinks i can just drop what i'm doing and go shopping with her or "would you mind giving me a hand with this, it will only take a minute", what would she do if i wasn't there, i don't know.

To work at home you have to be strong.

natasha
17-08-2004, 03:28 PM
I find that the other half never understands and when I go to DO work I find shopping/DIY lists "just in case" stuck to the monitor!

I love that.... LOL

VLAHAKISA
17-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I have been working from home very sucessfully for the last two years - I have been working alongside a child who is now 3 years old and has been with me most of every single day.

She spends 9 hours a week with her grandma and this is the only time I have had in the daytime away from her.

Working from home can work very well for a multitude of different people and circumstances, I run a club for such people and have over 320 members working sucessfully in this way running their own business from home - many have children with them, many do not.

I think to work from home you need to be firstly very organised, highly committed to your business (which sorts out the motivation problem), and to have a dedicated workspace for this purpose.

This work space doesn't even have to be 'away from it all' if you are the right type of person to work from home, as mine is shared with my 3 year old daughter who plays around me all day and is festooned with toys and lots of noise.

I work in a large loft space with my own office area, and the rest of the space is taken up by a ton of toys - my daughter plays with these and often sits next to me at her own desk doing art activities that I set up for her and supervise/encourage her with whilst I work.

I am constantly interrupted whilst I work, but this is fine, I am able to concentrate on my tasks still once the interruption has ended. My telephone calls are taken by a call answering service, and I return calls once my daughter is with her grandma, or when my husband comes home from work (at about 5.30-6pm) and can take her out of the loft to another room.

If desperate to make or take a call that moment, I go into the loft bathroom and make a quick call with the door shut whilst she watches some tv.

So I believe its more a matter of personality types rather than the home environment not being suitable for running a business from.

I have another child coming, due on the 31st August and I am confident I can still handle the business whilst caring for two children. Luckily the first will go to part time nursery each morning from September, and I have just hired a cleaner to spend 4 hours a week at our home and take some of the burden off my husband and I and ensure I can cope with it all :-)

It can be done, if you are suited to the lifestyle, and you are very committed to making a success of your business.

Best Wishes

Amanda

JayKay
17-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Adam
I have a flat in Leighton Buzzard with a spare room if you want to rent it as an office?

Thanks Adam, but my problem is now the money. I invest almost everything in my business ...

stephenmurray
17-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Rachael
Like i said to you yesterday ben a huge downside is people thinking that you are just lounging at home and dont have a proper job when in reality we work just as hard or even harder then office workers!!

Rachael

I can totally relate to that! My flatmate made a comment about the fact I hadn't tidied up before she got home from work the other day - I am quiet a calm and chilled person but I nearly exploded! Also, if I even dare to look tired in the evening I am made to feel bad because apparently I don't do anything..... grumble grumble!

Good advise from James as always - having a seperate working area does help and having times when you just don't think about work or touch the computer is good advise too.

BEN
18-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Morning all,

Cheers for all the very informative posts! I will make a note of these and try to stick to some of the advice.

For me motivation will not be a problem. Running my own buiness(es) has been a huge ambition & dream of mine for the last 4 years. I am now at the stage where everything is going great :-) I have a well deserved holiday coming up next week and when I get back I will be launching Bracetek, which I am very confident that will be a big sucess, I will be in full promo mode for MadCow & I will be working as a partner on another very exciting project.

I have an office space, which is my front bedroom :-)....where I can close myself of if needed during the evening. I do try and take my laptop down stairs when my partner is in so that at least I can talk to her........but having a full afternoon to crack on is something that I am really looking foward to doing.

Big thanks to those that posted,
Ben.

BBWdressseller
19-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by BEN
......what are the down sides!!?? i.e. keeping motivated etc?

I am well aware of the good things, or else I wouldnt be doing it! lol

I am going p/t self employed working from home in october.....so was just wondering what the downers are?

Cheers,
Ben.

I've worked from home a lot of the time since about 1998, when freeserve (RIP) made it possible to do so.

So I'd say the downers are:

Not being able to bounce ideas off colleagues.
Its easy to work too hard or too little.
Working in your underwear/dressing gown.
Separating work and home life properly.

On the other hand the good things are:

Not commuting for 3 hours every day.
No traffic jams.
Not having to work away from home and live out of a suitcase.
Working alongside my fiance in our home office - not so lonely.
Being in charge of your own destiny.
No backstabbing politics to contend with.

Rachael
19-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BBWdressseller

Working in your underwear/dressing gown.
Separating work and home life properly.

OOOHHH thats my favorite bit :D

BEN
19-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BBWdressseller

Being in charge of your own destiny.
No backstabbing politics to contend with.

Excellent points there!!.............our office/factory has been really bad for gossip/backstabbing............its like school sometimes.

Doubt I would sit in my kecks at my desk though!!

Rgds,
Ben.

redrabbit
19-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey guys,

I am a uni student and i've been trying to start my own webdesign business and web hosting business. I only have 2 years left in uni, and i am doing this to make a little extra money, and for some experience.

If all goes well, maybe i could do it full time. I spend about 16 hours per day on the computer usually, and i live in a shared house, so i only have my small room to live in.

This is very hard, as theres no seperate office-type space where i can go. This makes it hard to create "working time" and "relaxing time".

If i am working on a website or something, and then i have dinner and want to relax, i can't stop thinking about work, as its in the same room, on the same computer, where i've just spent 12 hours working on.

But if i did work from home, i would make sure i am rich enough to afford my own flat. Then i could have an office room with a seperate computer in it.

Advantages to working from home in my eyes are:

+ NO OFFICE POLITICS !!!!!
+ No top manager guy wanting to earn his money and on your back all the time
+ Time off if you want, say you need a few days off for something, you can take it with no problem
+ Everything you make is yours!!, (if its your own business)
+ I love being at home, so its good to stay at home where i feel comfortable

Disadvantages MAY be :

+ Getting Motivated
+ Having too much time off as a consequence
+ No relaxing time, if you dont seperate work and life properly
+ If you have family or a girlfriend they could suffer

Gary.

VLAHAKISA
19-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Working in your underwear/dressing gown - I find this to be a very bad idea for me, I find my mindset is all wrong when in my pjs! I always dress nicely/makeup/hair done even when alone in the house as it makes me feel better than if I sat around scruffy.

Separating work and home life properly - This is a plus for me rather than a negative! :-) I love that I can blend the two together - its what allows me to spend time with my children and have a career at the same time.

Regards

Amanda

Adam
19-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Sometimes when I really need to get stuff done I put my suit on (no tie) as it helps put you in the right mood as just said and also when you take it off you know the work day has finished.

redrabbit
19-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Adam
Sometimes when I really need to get stuff done I put my suit on (no tie) as it helps put you in the right mood as just said and also when you take it off you know the work day has finished.

Obviously the clothes you wear is a big part of how you work. I also guess that the working environment is also very important.

Say for example, if your desk has magazines and plates or something on it, i guess this could be quite distracting sub-conciously.

I think that the clothes you wear whilst working at home is very important. There has to be a subconcious mind-set that tells your body and your mind that you are working, and not lazing aroudn the house.

This may differ for some people, but it makes sense.

Yours Faithfully
19-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Just to add my two penneth worth - I would agree that you have to be committed, motivated and organised and be able to switch of the PC at the end of the day.

I would love to have a separate room for my office but I just don't have the space.

Another downside can be the lack of contact with the outside world - I suffered with this quite badly at first, it was me and the four walls for a while and it nearly drove me potty but now I am out and about with a couple of my clients and I go to my networking meeting each week so I talk to "real" people!

I can find it hard to switch off - both from work and also the PC as in the evenings, I tend to roam various sites and before I know it, the evening has gone.

It will be doubly hard when both of you are working from home - I would imagine you will have to set some guidelines and routines to make sure you get time together.

Also make sure that people (mothers in particular!) realise that you are working and not just dossing around watching Trisha!

I love the fact that I don;t have to travel for 2 hours to work, that I can work in my dressing gown if I want to (although I don;t as I don't feel like I am working if I do) and I love the work I do.

redrabbit
19-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Thats some good points you made Bramblerose. As sad as it sounds, i spend most of my time alone in my room. I can spend up to 16 hours per day just on my computer.

I think in a lot of ways it takes as much dedication and discipline to STOP working as much as it takes to start working. I think in some ways its harder to stop than to start.

I think having a break and stopping work for a decent amount of time per evening is a vital part of working for yourself and at home.

harlequin
20-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by redrabbit
Hey guys,

I am a uni student and i've been trying to start my own webdesign business and web hosting business. I only have 2 years left in uni, and i am doing this to make a little extra money, and for some experience.

I did that when i was in my second year at uni, blew up in my face when i didn't have time to revise for my exams, and failed all of them. Luckily for me after two weeks of begging they aloud me to resit just the exams and not the entire year.

Just be careful.

BEN
20-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah I think the stop working point was very good!! I find this hard to do when I get on a roll.....last night Dana was shouting at me to come to bed in the middle of the night!! I need 9+ hours per night, always have done so I feel knackered today...............nevermind.

Ben.

Adam
20-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Ben's got his homelife sorted when his partner is beggin him to come to bed!

Don't forget to satisfy your customer.

adycooney
08-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I live in sunny Yorkshire, however,I have worked in Loughborough for the past 5 years. I am really glad I have made the jump to working for myself from home.

Leaving home at 6AM every Monday and coming home on Thursday (most weeks) has taken its toll, the M1 car park is a nightmare most of the time.

Unfortunatley we only have a small house and one loud 2 year old so working in the house for me is a no no at the moment. To compensate I am just about to have an office (glorified shed!!) built at the bottom of the garden so that I can work from home without any distractions.

Fingers crossed this will allow me to concentrate on work when its needed without Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder interfering!!

ii3mhz
08-10-2005, 10:52 PM
i think my main problem at the moment is actually finding a job which allows me to work at home. Its something i would to do :)

Of course it has its ups and downs but i like working at home as it makes me feel comfortable and allows me to work how i need to. :D

VLAHAKISA
09-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

I have just become adjusted to the noise and toys of our children as I work, I can pretty much mentally block it out and concentrate still as I go about with my work!
The play literally in the same room as me!

Best Wishes

Amanda