PDA

View Full Version : Advertising and laws...

cmckay
06-07-2004, 07:45 PM
As part of a new business side line I want to do some local advertising in the form of banners set at busy places, small signs at roundabouts etc..

They will not be placed near any other business that would be competition etc, however im just wondering what the law is with regards to this?

Do you need permission? Is it even legal?
Anyone tried this before?

gibby1
06-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi im just down the road from you in carrick, We had 2 A boards put out on pavements where the traffic was busy. They where out for about 2 months then another computer company put lots out on lamp posts along the same road. I got a call telling me to remove them as they are illegal. If I didnt remove them I would get a 50 per sign. They said the other company would get the same call. All this was nearly 2 months ago, I brought them in just after tha call his are still out there. But someone else I know did get theres lifted without a call and he got a 50 fine, they also made it hard for him to get his sign back. I guess its just a bit of luck, our sign was reported (I would say by another computer company) so that why we got the call.

On a good point we did get plenty of sales from them and I still get peoples saying they remember the signs.

Cheers

cmckay
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Chris, thanks for the reply. I was thinking something like that may happen, but I suppose its worth it.

Im going to give it a try anyway see how things go, have nothing to lose really unless I get a fine :P

Hows business going for you anyway? Tell me this, is the Paradigm cyber cafe still open in carrick??

gibby1
06-07-2004, 08:20 PM
If you can get cheap boards I would say go for it. There where signs up before I put mine up and they are still there on the same strech of road. I would put mine out again cos as far as im concerned 50 a month is well worth the advertising (They say thats how often they do a sweep but its far longer). However its the making it hard to get the sign back that puts me off again.

I dont think Paradigm is still there, that part of carrick has a lot of empty shops now so i would have been hard for them to survive there.

Where abouts are you based?

cmckay
06-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes 50 is good for that type of advertising.

Im based in the Andersonstown direction in West Belfast.

Im going to make my own signs, saves you some money and does a good job. Few panels of hardboard with a good solid background, make some templates and spray your sign onto it.

Saves you some money, and you dont have to worry as much about getting them back, its only working out around 5 - 10 each sign and they are fairly large.

emmalr
06-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Normally your local council allow business's to advertise on it's property (rubish bins, lamp posts etc...). My father did it up here in the North East.

Contact your council and ask them about it.

Emma.

Adam
06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
When I worked in retail, the council were generally okay if you had a good idea although they are often a little incompetent.

My understanding was that adverts of this nature are not allowed tied to lamposts unless for short term events like the AA often provide signs for.

On the pavement, the main thing they look for are trip hazards.

You can advertise on bus shelters for only 100 a week.