PDA

View Full Version : Abbey National Business Account

BEN
14-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Just thought I would post to say how impressed I am with the abbey...very efficent, and I am using the free banking service too :-)

My business welcome folder has just arrived today...........impressive.

Rgds,
Ben.

cymru78
14-06-2004, 10:50 PM
im glad that you mention that. I had a quick chat with the abbey last week and found the guy very polite and helpful.

I am hoping to get there this week or next to apply for a business account myself.

Their free banking is exactly what i need.

Adam
15-06-2004, 02:17 AM
They rejected me because they have put on my credit file that I haven't paid my student OD with them.

This is bull as it is within the limits and having regular payments made.

I would sign up if they fix that!

JayKay
15-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Ben ... you have just answered my question: "Where should I go to transfer my business bank account?"

I bank with Barclays at the moment, but opening an account with them looks to be the biggest mistake I did as businessman so far. It is unbelievable that you need few days, often more than one week, to get in touch with your Relationship Manager!!!

Clementine
15-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Word of warning - the presentation and initial communications might be impressive but it's the service you receive when you start (or are in desperate need) that really count.

Barclays looked good - but were anything but once we started a few years ago. So far HSBC have been pretty good.

Clem.

MarkusMaximus
15-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Adam
They rejected me because they have put on my credit file that I haven't paid my student OD with them.

This is bull as it is within the limits and having regular payments made.

I would sign up if they fix that!
You are allowed to open another student account with another bank and transfer the overdraft. If you do that as far as Abbey are convinced you have paid the overdarft off. They should then allow you to open a business account, assuming you still want one with them.

Once your business account is open you can close the student account. Although it shouldn't matter if you close the student account before you open the buisness account but I would leave it until the business account is up and running as they may look unfavourable on you if you have recently closed an account with them.

Adam
15-06-2004, 03:00 PM
That is true but it will stay on my credit file for a while.

I have sent a notice of correction to Experian.

If they would have me I would like to join them as I have found their business and branch managers very helpful and polite.

Maz
22-06-2004, 12:42 AM
We are currently an Abbey customer but are switching over to Barclays.

We have not een unhappy with Abbey but being a free account they just don't offer the full range of services we need. For example the y give customers a Visa Electron card which is not accepted everywhere which can be a big problem when making purchases.

Also Abbey do not provide any Direct Debit or Standing Orders services so we have to rely on old fashioned and slow cheques or bank transfers.

And the most annoying thing about Abbey is you can only access your online account up until midnight, which i think is ridiculous!

Barclays may not be free but they offer all the services we could everneed incluging a Switch debit card and Barclaycard and a website accessable 24/7.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

James Smith
22-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Maz, re the abbey account - you can certainly set up standing orders and direct debtis with the current "free banking forever" account.

I use the account and have these facilities up and running. I have also had no problems with their visa debit card being accepted.

Odd that you should be having problems with these basic facilities. Prehaps you have an older account?

Maz
22-06-2004, 11:36 AM
James,

I have have a number of regular suppliers that won't accept it so we have to use personal cedit cards and then claim it back through the company, which is a real pain.

Don't you find is annoying tat you cannot access your online account whenever you need?

Regards

James Smith
22-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I havn't had any problems with my card, its a visa delta and I use it quite often.

I wasnt aware they killed access off overnight, I tend to access in the daytime, evenings or at weekends and have not had any access issues

Interesting to note your issues as I have reccomended this account to quite a few clients.

BenYetMore
22-06-2004, 01:10 PM
I would call and ask if you can have a proper Visa delta card rather than Electron. We have the same account as you and originally they sent me a visa delta and Holly got sent an Electron. As you can imagine Holly was most put out that I had a better card than her and rang them up to find out why, turns out it was a mistake (??) and they sent her a full visa delta within 7 days. It's always worth calling and checking.

We have had no probs re. access and direct debits either.

Maz
22-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks, but unfortunately we've already committed to changing to Barclays.

Cheers

BEN
22-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Well,

My private a/c they sent me a visa/electron.........which yes is ****! But my biz a/c is a visa/delta....which is fine.

Not tested the online access at midnight......

Rgds,
Ben.

Adam M
23-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Wow, Abbey sound quite good - I was worried about banking charges because of the ultra-low profits I expect from the business I'm setting up.

Out of interest, do Abbey allow you to pay-in at their branches? The only possible problem seems to be that their card may not work with PayPal.

Adam
23-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I like the Abbey now.

It seems I wasn't the only student not to pay money in to the account so I phoned them today and my credit history has been returned to 000 (that means good).

Also, while on the phone I pitched for the vending contract and it is looking good!!