PDA

View Full Version : Got my idea!

robnights
03-05-2004, 03:36 PM
No need to worry everyone! I have thought up of an idea. It is not meant to make me money just yet, and I will workon it in my own time. I've started work on the site so far but i cant yet disclose what the idea is. I know its already been done before, and there is quite a bit of competition, but that doesnt really matter if im not intending on making a profit on it.

Oh yeah! as im not making an money in this venture (well, not yet anyway), and its kinda just a hobby, do i have to do anything like registering as a business etc?

Thanks!

1nzvestor
03-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by robnights
No need to worry everyone! I have thought up of an idea.

I've started work on the site so far but i cant yet disclose what the idea is. I know its already been done before, and there is quite a bit of competition, but that doesnt really matter if im not intending on making a profit on it.

.... do i have to do anything like registering as a business etc?

Three things here;

1. We're not worried at all - carry on in your own merry little world

2. Do you have a business plan? If not, why bother spending time designing a site that's not going to help make you money (see 3)

3. If you don't intend to make money why bother looking into this 'idea' at all. If you still wish to proceed then try registering as a charity or not-for-profit organisation and donate all/most of your income (as this may be a requirement for such business types)

Adam
03-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Good points Wino.

Making no money is a very stupid thing to do. Houses don't get cheaper for people that do good work (okay there are some housing associations etc). Food isn't cheaper because you didn't charge for your services.

At least make something and give it to either a charity or use it to support a local sole trader or something.

Or, and this is a good tip, make some bl00dy money so you can put it towards other ventures that get bigger each time until you make a fortune.

robnights
03-05-2004, 05:23 PM
okay...the not to worry bit...that was a joke...i suggest buying a sense of humour.

and why write a business plan, if its not really a business?

and why donate money to people if I will not have any money coming in?

I will try to make this a lil more clear. I know that this is a business forum, and i would like to own a business. But at the moment, I am studying for my GCSE's and starting up a business would be too much stress on top of exams. therefore, I am making a site that will be more of a 'hobby' not a job.

After my exams, I may try to use the site to make money, but not until then.

There is no need to pick at everything I say, all I am doing is asking for help. Like everyone else. :-(

Adam
03-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Well that is a bit clearer.

I started my print business when I was doing my GCSEs. I did okay but it was a bit tricky.

Without knowing the idea it is hard for us to reply constructively to a post like yours. I would have thought that getting the site up was the hard bit. If you went to the trouble to do that you would at least have some hits or marketing plan and if that was in place it seems an easy step to make something from the site.

Good luck. At least you will have your GCSEs what ever happens later in life.

1nzvestor
03-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by robnights
okay...the not to worry bit...that was a joke...i suggest buying a sense of humour.

and why write a business plan, if its not really a business?

There is no need to pick at everything I say, all I am doing is asking for help. Like everyone else. :-(

No need to get jumpy - if you'd met me you'd know I have a great sense of humour - not bought.....

re: Business Plan - This site is primarily for people looking for business advice. There are plenty of sites for hobbies, suggest checking out Googlem or Yahoo groups for hobby support networks.

re: asking for help - you've asked for advice regarding a business that will make no money, which in many ways is not a business at all.

When, after your exams, you have some genuine business questions we would be glad to answer them. Good luck with your GCSE's - they are very important - focus on those as you don't get a second chance at them. Like you, I have been to school and understand the importance of good grades, and wish I had put more effort into my time at school.

Have you read the story about the boy who cried wolf? well, it has it's place in business too.........

VLAHAKISA
04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
I think the lack of support you may feel you have experienced in this thread is due to the nature of your post.

What you are starting is a hobby as professed by yourself.
As this is a business forum populated with very busy people who ideally want to help other people who are starting a business, I suppose they feel that helping people start a 'hobby' with their advice and guidance is a little outside of their reasons for joining and being a member of this forum.

If you want advice with a hobby I would suggest you would get more feedback from a hobby group, rather than a business forum.

When the hobby forms into an actual business (ie when it is making money) I'm sure you'll get heaps of feedback and guidance from the members who frequent the shell forum.

Regards

Amanda

Marketeer
04-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Phew!