PDA

View Full Version : Food Chain Business Plan

mTech
07-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I am looking into the food chain market, hopefully looking at a future business venture. However, the one thing I am interested in with food chains is the delivery.

As adequately weighted as I am, I do often order in a takeaway.

It really annoys me when you have to pay an extra for delivery. I was just wondering, what sort of percentage of the price of the food does the delivery charge work around.

[[E.g. If the food/ meal costs 8.00, and the normal delivery percentage is (say) 60%, then, altogether, the meal would cost 12.80]]

m8internet
08-04-2012, 12:20 PM
It really annoys me when you have to pay an extra for delivery. I was just wondering, what sort of percentage of the price of the food does the delivery charge work around
You are almost always going to have to pay for delivery, unless you live within walking distance
Equally, if you live within walking distance, why get it delivered...

If you don't have access to private transport, then delivery will save time
If you have access to private transport, then delivery will save both time and costs

With delivery the order will arrive shortly after it has been prepared, so no having to wait
The pros and cons of each option have to be weighed up

I've never heard of 60% delivery charges on a food order, usually they are fixed
Example
1.50 on orders up to 20, free on orders over 20

With car costs at about 1 per mile, paying for delivery makes sense where you live about 2 miles or more from the outlet

nemesis
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I wouldnt charge a percentage as to be honest i would expect it to get cheaper not more expensive the more i ordered. If i order 200 of pizza for my teambuilding i would not pay 120 delivery for it i would just go elsewhere

I dont know fast food well but either find some way to build it into your margin or charge a flat fee

If a delivery driver and all fuel, car, expenses comes in at 100 a day for ease and you do 150 deliveries/day then your cost is 66p/delivery

Add a margin to make it worth your time or dont offer delivery if you cannot comfortably do this

Deliveries tend to be multiple items so even if 2 items get delivered can you increase your prices by the theoretical 33p to cover and offer "free delivery" which is a great selling point

tinyborn
04-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Have you ever think of franchise opportunity? It is a way to start your business with a good brand name to ensure the profitability and good growth.

rhysgwynjones
06-02-2013, 05:19 PM
What kind of food business are you looking into?

didobay
11-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt charge a percentage as to be honest i would expect it to get cheaper not more expensive the more i ordered. If i order 200 of pizza for my teambuilding i would not pay 120 delivery for it i would just go elsewhere