PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar and Brand Bucket company

Spoonfed Suppers
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Hello

I recently met Rockstar (mentoring) and Brand Bucket company (comms-unit - marketing) at a start up conference and wondered if anyone has had any dealing with them. They are quite pricey but I really feel that I need someone with business expertise to bounce my ideas around with. I am starting on my own and think a bit of brainstorming with someone of good business acumen would be very helpful.

Any recommendations or experience of these two companies?

Many thanks,
Caroline

Admin Tones
05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't but I was linked up to Business Link when I started out and I'm now under an excellent
mentor with them, so would highly recommend you look into using them and they are FREE - BONUS for a new starter! :-)

Whats your business idea?

buddinghealth
06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Business link are a great free resource and would recommend using them but sometimes it worth using the services of a professional group for marketing - I havent used these companies myself but would be very interested in finding out more about them.

lordlancaster
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Spoonfed Suppers,

did you see Rockstar at the Business Startup 2010 Show in London back in May? I heard their founder Jonathan Pfahl do a great presentation there and I did think that it sounded like a pretty good service with some great mentors, although the cheapest package on offer is the 'Rockstar Bronze' at 197 per month which really only gives you online mentoring & support.

I believe you can get a free telephone mentoring session to give you a taste of what's on offer before you commit too (see www.rockstargroup.co.uk (http://www.rockstargroup.co.uk) for more info).

Alternatively, at the lower end of the price scale, Rachel Elnaugh (Red Letter Days founder / Original Dragons' Den) now offers an online mentoring service for 25 per month. You can even trial it for 1 week for just 1 (see http://www.rachelelnaugh.com/help-for-your-business/online-business-mentoring).

bigstu
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi

Getting a good mentor can be tricky! Have you investigated TiE UK? Have a look at http://uk.tie.org/chapterHome/programs/Mentoring200708283254216680/viewOrganizationPagePT

I met with them recently and they have a great mentoring service - it is free to members of TiE and membership is a nominal cost per year.

Have a look and see what you think.

johnathanB
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Caroline

I mentor a lot of businesses at verious different levels ie startup to 1M+ turn over.

I would suggest that if you are at the startup phase then you are going to need quite a lot of support and help and your learning curve will be a steep one. In my experience you will require "teaching" and "mentoring" which I consider two different things. For this reason I would suggest that you think long and hard about using some of the paid mentoring services especially at the low level where the level of service is low, they will not have time to teach you and therefore you could spend a lot of time talking about the basics rather than your strategic direction (which mentors are best helping you with).

It great to have someone to kick ideas around with and it helps focus your mind, but if you are in early stages of your business you will have so many new experiences that you will want to discuss with someone I think you may well be disappointed with the limited help you would get from these services.
I'm not saying that these service should not be used (quite the opposite), but I feel on a benefit-to- ratio a business that has been operational for a year or more would get way more from this service as the experiences they have build thus far will allow them to ask more specific questions that in the short time they have with the mentor and therefore will yield more useful information.

I would strongly suggest that you still find a mentor, but you pay absolutely nothing! Look up a local business owner / join local business clubs and ask them if they will help you. They will both mentor you and 'teach' you the ropes which will allow you to become established. Once you have reached this point a More focused business growth oriented mentor will be good value for the money for you.

So to some up, I'd save your money and get out into the business community and learn from them first.

Incidentally, RE Paul's post. I have just launched an online mentoring program via my website. The key difference is that not only is it online mentoring but there is a community extranet that contains hours of video training on key areas such as doing cash flows, sales, marketing how to employ the right people etc. The core principle is that during the 1-to-1 mentoring sessions topics can be discussed but then reference can be made to the online training, allowing my mentees to learn the strategies and techniques in their own time without paying someone like a business coach to tell them this.
Additionally the community is backed by a team of certified experts in various fields including Legal, Accounting, HR, Business Development and negotiation/ procurement. Each member of the community can post questions in the private forums and expect a qualified expert answer in a couple of hours. The membership of Grow the Profits Club is just 69/month and is backed by a money back guarantee that it will help you make more profit.

For more info visit http://www.growtheprofits.com/What-is-GTP-Club-.aspx

Sorry for the self promotion.

J.

lordlancaster
08-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Wise words Jonathan, thanks for the post. Your new service sounds pretty good too.

Spoonfed Suppers
13-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all your tips and advice. I'm going to follow your suggestions and dig around for low-cost mentors/teachers. I'll keep you posted!

SukhEClub
23-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all your tips and advice. I'm going to follow your suggestions and dig around for low-cost mentors/teachers. I'll keep you posted!

Hi there Spoonfed,

My name is Sukh, and I am a founding member of the Entrepreneurial Club. I think it's great that you are able to take your time and dig around - doing your discovery on what will work best for you. This is probably the most important stage of your overall business plan. By discovering as much as possible now, your actions will be a lot more painless!I would encourage you to make sure you work with people who help you with what is most important, not just your urgencies, but what will be the overriding factors in your business and in life.

I know you've had a few "suiters", but I wanted to make you aware of E-club, which is a not for profit environment for people to provide a low investment of time, money and effort to be supported in person, to develop the relationships and skills they need for their businesses and lives.

Here's our website: http://www.e-club.org.uk/

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them! My email is sukh.singh@e-club.org.uk

Warmest Regards

Sukh

MentorMatchMe
30-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Another good UK based mentoring service, for personal, business or career goals and challenges, is Mentor Match Me. Their one month free trial and their extensive network of mentors means that they have a mentor for almost any challenge.

Here is their website, and I hope this is a useful resource for anyone who needs mentoring help:

http://www.mentormatchme.com