PDA

View Full Version : Total confusion - Advice Welcomed!

zenk
15-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Good Evening All,

I'll start by introducing myself and my hopeful business plan. My name is Chris and I'm from the South East UK area, more specifically Kent. I've been a passionate gamer now for many years and am currently in the process of setting up a team which I'm hoping to take to the next level in the gaming world. Hopefully some of you may find the concept interesting if not at all strange.

I've sorted advice from business link UK and confused the poor woman so much on the phone I think she was nearly ready to cry!

To cut a long story short, if any of you know or even own some PC games specifically Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Source, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Halo (for xbox) just to name a few, it might amaze some of you to know players are paid and actually endorse sponsors products. The market is known to many within it as esports which basically stands for electronic sports, many of the bigger teams are sponsored by the likes of Intel, AMD, Logitech etc to attend these offline events around the globe which host quite a substantial winners prize also.

I'm not sure on the rules as to linking so I hope I'm not going to throw myself overboard but, I think some of these links to other teams may help you to fully grasp what I'm on about.

Fnatic - www.fnatic.com - Current best team in a variety of games hosts a British organisation
SK - www.sk-gaming.com - Team that has a far amount of squads from fifa to halo. Probably the most well known team with offices in Germany and Sweden.

Now, this is the route I wish to take with my team.. I firmly believe I can put a unique spin on this sector and potentially help others to travel the world playing video games. However the business side of things is what I'm not so good at (everyone has things they are bad at right? :P).

I would ideally like to be able to enter contracts with the players I would have playing for me, which would be similar to a football contract for example the only difference being the time span (players are often contracted for a set of events over the course of a year, then contracts are renewed etc), Many of the top players are not British, would this be a problem contracting them? Would I need to register the team as a business to be able to enter into contracts with players as well as sponsors?

Just to throw a spanner in the mix, it will not be my main source of income for a while as I'm currently employed full time elsewhere so would not directly benefit at the moment for having this venture as my main source of income.

I've been told I would need to speak to an accountant (could anyone advice otherwise or if this is right?) who would be able to help me to do all of the above.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

carolinem
19-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi Chris,

I'm not a gamer and most of it went over my head :D But I think what you are trying to do is be the gamers' agent? In other words, you exclusively contract with them to manage their online gaming sponsorship, PR etc. and in return they pay you a commission on any money they make from work you find them?

So firstly, you need an agent's contract for you and the gamers to sign. And secondly you need a friendly lawyer to look over the sponsors contracts (and I can practically guarantee they will want you to sign their contract rather than your contract!!).

In terms of how to find sponsors looking for this kind of promotional opportunity, surely this is why the gamers are paying you? So in order to get them to hand over a percentage of their earnings, you need to prove to them that you have enough contacts to make it worth their while to sign up with you!

I'd work on that part first!
C.