PDA

View Full Version : Software Protection

ronetw
04-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi All

I have question regarding how I would go about protecting some software that I am in the process of creating. I've looked into registering the name of what I want to use and it would cost me 200.00 to get the software name trademarked and registered.

However I want to know is it possible to protect the software 100%?

If anyone has any experience with regarding the protection of IP then please get in touch. :D

Syrupy
05-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Hi All

I have question regarding how I would go about protecting some software that I am in the process of creating. I've looked into registering the name of what I want to use and it would cost me 200.00 to get the software name trademarked and registered.

However I want to know is it possible to protect the software 100%?

If anyone has any experience with regarding the protection of IP then please get in touch. :D

As soon as you write software (or anything), you have copyright over it. You don't need to pay anything, or register anywhere even trademarks don't have to be registered, you just have to show you were using it first.

Are you concerned about distributing the source? What language is the programme in?

MarcDerby
05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I have registered trademarks before and that price is right and these do cover just the name.

I have heard in the past that software and writing is just yours from the date created if you are the first to do it and can prove it. Also found this link to a copyright service, not sure if its an offical site or not: http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/services/knowledge-base/kb_software

Cheers
Marc

johnathanB
05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi
My previous business was software development. (www.interact-intranet.co.uk if you are interested!)

@Syrupy is 100% correct. You get copyright on anything that you write. Big companies (eg Apple) have tried to patent some software concepts but I don't see this will stop anyone copying you unless you are very very rich.

If you are selling B to B software, copy protection is much less of an issue as other businesses are generally more trustful when it comes to following license agreements.

If you are selling B to C then copy protect your software with a basic license key. But remember in the world of software for the last 20 years the commercial winner is the one who gets "bums on seats". Ie the best software in the world will fail compared to poorer competition if the poorer competition can get installed on more computers. If you look through history, you will see this rule generally applies.
Therefore don't get too hung up about protecting your software, don't leave it open to copy, but focus on getting it out to market and installed on systems its this that will make you money and make your business valuable.

I hope this helps.

ronetw
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
As soon as you write software (or anything), you have copyright over it. You don't need to pay anything, or register anywhere even trademarks don't have to be registered, you just have to show you were using it first.

Are you concerned about distributing the source? What language is the programme in?

I will be writing the program in C#, I am just a little concerned with writing anything about it as it only takes one person in a large enough company to find the idea and do it themselves.

LogicNP
06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Copyrights, trademarks, etc are worth nothing if you do not have time and money to defend them - which most small companies dont. Instead invest in a good licensing system to prevent copying.
Consider CryptoLicensing (http://www.ssware.com/cryptolicensing/cryptolicensing_net.htm)

carolinem
09-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd agree - there's only so much protection that you can get by using copyright/trademarks.

Let's say your product is called "Widget101" and makes sparkly widgets. Mr Competitor can easily come up with a Me-Too product called "WidgetSparkly" that makes sparkly widgets. As long as he doesn't use your code and isn't trying to look so similar that consumers get confused about the product they are buying, he's not doing anything wrong.

You really want your product to fulfil whatever need your target market is looking for.

RSC
31-03-2010, 07:01 AM
if you are worry about idea theft then get a patent for that.
if you are worry about some one will copy your software and can use it without paying you(non legitimate way) then there are lots of solution to protect your software in this case.

drop me a PM, with some details, so that i can check which solution will be good for u.

Thanks