PDA

View Full Version : Build own website or get a designer

cumins
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Im thinking about building my own website but i havnt really had much experience in building them before so i was wondering if it was easy or just look for a website designer todo it.

Jarvooo
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Its totally upto you really, what alot of people do is build them themselves from templates etc, and there are resources to do so, but the problem you have is the resource you use, thousands of other people will use aswell so search engine wise it wont be very good, also, having one built doesnt cost the earth and can help you in achieving everything your after in your website to. If you want to talk about it and find out the costs, drop me an email to colin@jarviswebandgraphicsolutions.co.uk - id be delighted to offer you a quote so you can evaluate whats going to work best for you.

damion
07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Well it just depends on what you are after and what you can do? If you need any further advice I will be happy to help, email me anytime from my website and I will get back to you.

All the best,

Damion.

Joshua Mason-Allen
07-02-2010, 10:36 PM
If you have a few days to invest and you're quite sharp you can learn all you need to for a semi-decent looking website. There are websites like w3schools which taught me how to do a lot of the stuff I've needed over the past couple of years. As Colin said, there are many templates and tutorials availible on the web which you can use for the foundations and experimenting with if nothing else.

There are things like graphics that might be a problem, if like me, your art is awful. On the other hand, comissioning someone to do a banner image or background is much cheaper than commissioning the whole thing afresh.

If you need a simple website to convey some information and not much else, you can probably work it out for yourself. If your website is going to be your source of trade and only contact with clients: perhaps meaningful investment where required should be considered.

It's a matter of prudence and necessity.

Regards,

gear7.co.uk
08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
10 years ago (back when I was at secondary school still!) I used to do a bit of website design and could have happily built a site that looked as good as most that were out there. These days though, design and coding have moved on significantly - css xml and xhtml have made things possible that were either a) not or b) only possible in 1 browser back then.

Anyway....what I have done is build a 'temporary' website using my outdated knowledge (and Dreamweaver, for my sins, simply because it's quicker than notepad and I actually have a copy), which has given me a chance to get some content up, which can then be recycled into a 'proper' site in the (near) future. So for you the process would be to build a temporary site with either templates or a site-builder tool, and go from there.

Worth looking at Google Sites, possibly? Offers lots of functionality and is quite easy to use.

Chris

ronetw
08-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Im thinking about building my own website but i havnt really had much experience in building them before so i was wondering if it was easy or just look for a website designer todo it.

Hi cumins

It really all depends on your knowledge, if your just starting out, as already said you can get some really good resources of the Web but you can also get books from any good book shop along with websites such as sitepoint. :o).

However, if your looking for a professional job to be carried out then personally I'd recommend getting a professional in and letting them do what they know.

lordlancaster
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Building a basic website is fairly easy (if you've got time on your hands and really want to learn how to do it).

However, to do a good, professional-looking website is much harder and that's why there are professionals who do this for a living. (There are plenty of them hanging about on this forum should you need one)! ;)

You need to ask yourself what the purpose is, how quickly you need one and how important it is to have a professional, slick site. A simple yet highly effective 'web presence' can be achieved by making sure your Shell LiveWIRE Social Network profile (www.shell-livewire.org/network/cumins (http://www.shell-livewire.org/network/cumins)) contains up to date info about yourself (and your business).

All Social Network profiles come with a free blog, allow you to add description and contact details for yourself or your business, upload photos, videos, network with other businesses and chat with other members online. It's also very well indexed by all the major search engines so anything you post on there through your blog will achieve high ranking on Google for example.

In addition (or instead of) you can also create a free blog using WordPress (http://wordpress.com/) or Blogger (https://www.blogger.com/start) which will let you add basic info about you and your business very quickly and intuitively.

For anything more sophisticated than basic info (like an online shop) I recommend calling in the experts unless you've got lots of time on your hands.

There are some good deals on websites for Shell LiveWIRE members in the Shell LiveWIRE Exchange sub-forum here:

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24365

sitebuilder
09-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi

Our company offers an online website builder called SiteBuilder (http://www.sitebuilderdiy.co.uk/) which comes with a full content management system, so you can update all aspects of your site at any time, anywhere. If you're looking to sell online, it is also e-commerce ready and includes stock management and catalogue management capabilities as well as a host of other features.

Check out our latest offer for Shell LiveWIRE members here;

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?p=150049#post150049

I hope this helps. If you have any queries, feel free to give me a call on 0191 2612991 or drop me an email at helenh@SiteBuilderBespoke.co.uk

Kind regards,
Helen

Spodaz
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,

I remember the very first website I developed was back in Netscapes web edit application back in 1996, I then knocked something up in application from Sierra Software I think and then did another horrible looking site in Publisher around 1999, I was using Bravenet.com tools to enhance my site at the time.

I then discovered Frontpage and finally got something a little more professional looking in fact for the time it was very nice, and i used the various versions of Frontpage for many years as I liked it's simplicity.

I then got the what was at the time Macromedia Suite now Adobe CS4 Web software such as Dreamweaver, Flash etc but being honest I did not and still do not like these.

Now having had a mac for years and used software specifically for the mac, I can create very nice websites with relative ease (using Photoshop for graphic work)

I think the tools are out there and some of them are very intuitive so it does not require much learning, however, should you want something professional done quickly then get in touch with the pro's!

Jarvooo
10-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi

Our company offers an online website builder called SiteBuilder (http://www.sitebuilderdiy.co.uk/) which comes with a full content management system, so you can update all aspects of your site at any time, anywhere. If you're looking to sell online, it is also e-commerce ready and includes stock management and catalogue management capabilities as well as a host of other features.

Check out our latest offer for Shell LiveWIRE members here;

http://www.shell-livewire.org/forums/showthread.php?p=150049#post150049

I hope this helps. If you have any queries, feel free to give me a call on 0191 2612991 or drop me an email at helenh@SiteBuilderBespoke.co.uk

Kind regards,
Helen

Stuff like this in essence seem okay, but offer the same elements as many free software applications out there so i dont see the value in them, the designs arent custom and what you sell to one, or what one uses as a resource, can be used by hundreds of others so basically, defeats the object of having a fantastic unique design

sitebuilder
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Stuff like this in essence seem okay, but offer the same elements as many free software applications out there so i dont see the value in them, the designs arent custom and what you sell to one, or what one uses as a resource, can be used by hundreds of others so basically, defeats the object of having a fantastic unique design

Hi

I agree there are a lot of do it yourself website builders out there and most of them provide a 'what you see is what you get' package. But I would recommend to all those wondering whether to go it alone or seek a professional, to have a go of the free trial on our website as the flexibility SiteBuilder provides within its templates is exceptional and allows users to create some really great and individual designs.

Jarvooo
11-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi

I agree there are a lot of do it yourself website builders out there and most of them provide a 'what you see is what you get' package. But I would recommend to all those wondering whether to go it alone or seek a professional, to have a go of the free trial on our website as the flexibility SiteBuilder provides within its templates is exceptional and allows users to create some really great and individual designs.

Thats my point though, you cant possibly offer individual designs if the service is available to everyone, for example, person x wants a template like template x, then another person and another want it, not to mention if others already have it, the coding is going to be the same with different content, search engine wise thats going to penalise everybody. Unique websites are what makes the mark search engine wise and thats not something you offer, for a business wanting a website, id say it was imperitive that that kind of thing was taken care of - something no "design online" type practices can offer albeit a simpler solution for alot of people, and to be honest no free charges or monthly fee's are going to make that any better in the grand scheme of things.

lordlancaster
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
As a web designer, you're bound to not like this sort of thing Colin, but I guess it's horses for courses. SiteBuilder won't be suitable for everyone, but for others it could be all that they need to get started.

Room for everyone I suppose and the content itself is more important than the style / template of
the site.

The new buzz phrase I've coined today is 'Content is King'

notoriousgib
11-02-2010, 08:24 PM

It all comes down to what you are doing with the site. What is the purpose of your website? Are you looking to promote yourself, a service/product, e-commerce or are you just dipping your toes into building a website. You could go the template route, you edit yourself or work from scratch however sometimes it is best to leave the professionals to it. A well coded site that is compliant and structured will enable you to promote it easier and get better rankings with search engines. I can tinker and play around with html but wouldnt say i could neccesarily build a website, so I turned to a professional. I would have paid ten times the amount I did for it knowing now how much business it generates for us.

shophi
12-10-2013, 08:18 AM

What kind of website do you need to build?Small or Large
If you need to create your website,you should keep the following steps.
**1.Domain name**
Whenever you choose a domain name,keep in mind the following instructions,
1.your domain name should be within 10 letters
2.It should be easy to remember
3.It should be related to your business.
4.Before registering your domain name,you should know the worth of it.
5.Mostly .com is one of the best domain extension.After selecting your domain name,you should register any one of the trustworthy domain registrar
**2.Hosting**
If you need to build a website, hosting is the important platform.
If you build website for small business,shared hosting is enough,suppose you build a website for large business.you will need VPS hosting plan
Whenever you choose a hosting provider,be aware that provider is trustworthy and provide 24/7 technical support.
Here i list some points while considering to choose a best web hoster.
1.Amount of web space
2.FTP access
3.File type and size limitations
4.Reliability and speed of access
5.Supported languages
6.Bandwidth allotment
It's very helpful to choose the best hosting provider.
**3.Build your website**
Building a website includes designing a web page, Coding , editing and adding all necessary contents to a website.If you build a website for small type of business,try to get web builder service otherwise you should get web designing service from any one of the online service provider.
**4.Publish your website**
Publishing your website is making your visible and accessible on world wide web through the server of your web host.
After that you can get all the above services from http://www.thewebpole.com/ They will provide well customer support.I hope it will be very useful to you.

Captive BPO
16-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Hello,

Well, it may depend on your time and resources. If you have the luxury of time, and fond of designing, then maybe you can do it. However, if you have a strict deadline but still want to make sure about quality, then maybe you can employ a designer. Try outsourcing this function to a in order for you to control costs without compromising the quality of the output.

ebmwa20
16-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Dear Sir,

Please i need to designe my website

Thanks
Mohamed Wady

tcostello
16-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi there, this is a really interesting subject. There are some really strong website template builders out there now, and they are getting better all the time. If you do decide to use a designer, here is a good blog post on what to look for: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/blog/guest-bloggers/jed-wylie-make-your-website-sell-how-to-pick-the-perfect-web-designer-part-1/

ebmwa20
17-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Hello,How design website by my self step by step please.
Thanks

grey909
18-10-2013, 09:02 AM
With the power of the Internet , and more people watching than ever, itís important for any business to communicate its unique message clearly. The easiest way to recognize a company and distinguish it from others is by its logo. business owners often invest a lot of time and money in property and equipment, but do not often match it by investing suitably in their logo design.

The easiest way to recognize a company and distinguish it from others businesses is by its logo. Logo design is often seen as a quick and easy activity. Many designers use an online form to put forward a bunch of questions, while others might ask over a telephone call or by email. here http://mix-marketing.net more information

shophi
21-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Hello,How design website by my self step by step please.
Thanks

You can build your website by coding.There are few points which you have must remember to make excellent web design.
1. Have a strong, clear brand message
2. Provide a clear, concise navigation method
3. Make it intuitively easy to use
4. Keep it consistent
5. Keep it simple
6. Ensure itís easy to understand
7. Degrade gracefully
8. Write it with your target audience in mind
9. Consider usability
10. Make sure itís compliant
If you have less knowledge in coding,Web builder service is suitable for you.
If you are interested to build a website by using web builder service,visit http://www.thewebpole.com/hosting/website-builder2.aspx?ci=1806&prog_id=456994 Here you can get low cost web builder service.They will provide three types of service start from $2.85/month.Here you can Choose your favorite web template from hundreds of gorgeous, professionally-designed templates.It includes drag-and-drop functionality and your website will be up and running in minutes. No technical skills or coding required.But this service suitable for small medium business website.If you need to build a website for larger medium business,Try to get professional web designing service from the same site.I hope it will be very useful to you.

Autofits Packaging
25-11-2013, 12:38 PM
If you are a newbie, then you can buy a hosting platform and opt for a content management system (CMS) like WordPress. The CMS platform will provide you with all the resources to build your website and to manage it. You can then make changes in your website as the time goes.

richardfinch
28-11-2013, 09:49 AM
You can build website yourself easily. You can easily select free or paid theme of wordpress. Wordpress is the best platform if you want to design it yourself.
You can put additional features by installing widget.