PDA

View Full Version : Ask a Mentor?

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi,
Im new to the Livewire community and i need to know how long it usally takes a mentor to replly to a question?
Ive been waiting 2 days know and the info is ergent...

Lee

Martin
11-01-2004, 01:56 PM
What exactly is it you need to know?

Were not mentors, but you will find decent people here that maybe able to advise you.

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I've just started a marketing and promo compay and i need to know how to set out a marketing plan for clients.
I know a small amount about M&P bur Ive decided jus to learn as i go.

lee

Netcomm UK
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
My business partner has been out with a few marketing people and they are all qualified. There is a lot of money to be made, but if you don't even know how to market to your customers, then i think you're picking the wrong career.

If I was you and this is your chosen career path, then i'd go back to college and learn this from proper tutors.

Just my 2p's worth.

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 05:07 PM
it's not that i dont know how to market for clients, is the whole setting out of the market plan that baffels me. I cant help but write info that the client already knows, or speak in the first person as the company.
I've studied a fraction/basic marketing theory but i hope that the "learn as i go" affect may uncover some new un-used techniques.

Thanks for the opinion tho, thats what im here for

kermey
11-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by lee_simpson
[B]I know a small amount about M&P bur Ive decided jus to learn as i go.

I agree with Netcomm UK (it's rare that I donít actually).

The quoted statement is a bit like me starting my web design company knowing "A few HTML tags". If that were true I'd probably fail.

In fact if you wanted finance from an outside source, your business plan would have to demonstrate that the reverse is true.

Perhaps we have misunderstood this statement? Whatís your background in Marketing and Promo?

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 07:49 PM
HTML is not Marketing and Promotion.

HTML you either known it or you dont, wereas some of the best promotions and marketing techniques were written by people who knew nothing about it. Coca-Cola, Nike
My company spealises in marketing for business who aim their products at young people, and I'm a young person. I'm already one step on my way.

kermey
11-01-2004, 08:15 PM
So why would a company pay you? Surely they'd do it themselves if years of experience and knowledge is'nt needed?

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I think that you'll find that most marketing execs are old and out of touch with the audiences they are aiming at.

hollyyetmore
11-01-2004, 08:21 PM
hehe, I can't wait til certain regular users of the forum see that post!

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
whys that?

hollyyetmore
11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
because they're marketing people with years of experience who will (rightly or wrongly) disagree, probably quite fiercely. I love a good debate though, I'll watch with interest!

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
i've already had that from my business consultant

Netcomm UK
11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
HTML is not Marketing and Promotion.

No, but what he's saying is he know's his business and the industry.

I left school and worked in network cabling for 5 and a half years before setting up on my own. I was running my own jobs and had the knowledge to have a go.

HTML you either known it or you dont, wereas some of the best promotions and marketing techniques were written by people who knew nothing about it. Coca-Cola, Nike

I'd like to know how much those companies spend each year on marketing and promotion. The people who they'd consult would know their stuff, or how else would those products be market leaders....?

lee_simpson
11-01-2004, 09:16 PM
thats the point. companies are run by graduates all the time, you can have all the theory in the world but if ya out of touch then whats the point.
Its like you can train to be a priest but if ya dont believe in god. Whats the point

kermey
12-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Lee did you get a reply from the mentor board yet? The only times that I've posted questions, I've had a response within 2 days.

Is this any use?

http://www.infotoday.com/mls/jun99/how-to.htm

I havenít read it through as I canít be bothered but scanning down it looks relevant.

lee_simpson
12-01-2004, 06:33 PM
cheers Ker mate it was great

kermey
13-01-2004, 09:03 AM
All I did was search Google for "how to write a marketing plan".

People don't search anymore :)

lee_simpson
13-01-2004, 12:53 PM
well i finally got a repply and guess what?

it was of no use at all. It just asked be to join livewire and use the help files there?
Which dont have the information I need.

:-(

Statler
13-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi Lee,

As the information in the Marketing articles hasn't been helpful, it may be a good idea to get in touch with your local LiveWIRE Co-ordinator, with whom you can arrange a meeting to discuss your needs.

lee_simpson
13-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Yer, I've already started that motion. But the co-ordinator that was asigned to me told me that he could not help me due to the area that I lived in. I think the saw my postcode and have asigned me to the wrong area.

I've contacted the correct area and things are on the move.

Cheers

Chloie
27-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Hiya,

Sorry to come in late, but aren't Marketing and Promotion two quite separate things? Promotion is only one strand of Marketing, as I understand it.

lee_simpson
27-01-2004, 08:05 PM
good marketing practice is achieved with good promotion/advertising

1nzvestor
30-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Its like you can train to be a priest but if ya dont believe in god. Whats the point

as in Dougal on Father Ted !

VLAHAKISA
31-01-2004, 03:23 PM
What a fascinating debate this started :-)

I believe you can learn as you go along - if you have a natural flair for something you do not have to go to school, or wait until you have years of experience before you go it alone.

I had zero training or experience before I started in my trade just over a year ago, yet I've been off to a flying start over the last year, and have a bagful of very happy customers and more lining up.

Go for it, if you really believe you have a talent in this area. You'll soon find out if you don't :-)

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Someone once said to me only a year ago 'don't give up the day job' with regards to my first ventures into designing - if you want something enough and have a talent you will learn, and you will improve.

I personally believe that learning 'on the job' is the best way to go for some of us who just don't flourish or enjoy a classroom environment, and those who have put themselves in the right profession will learn very fast.

Regards

Amanda

lee_simpson
01-02-2004, 04:27 PM
I love this.
I seem to have a lot of people backing my thinking and some who are a little less optimistic. Saying that however all contrubutions have been taken on board.
And for all you nay sayers out there i have currently 3 clients, each and everyone loved the idea of no marketing background.

Cheers people