PDA

View Full Version : ordering from abroad/china

mrtadebayo
17-08-2009, 05:56 PM
any advice? i'm looking at computers from abroad/china, what should i be worried about? what shall i look out for? how do i know i'm dealing with an authentic seller?

mo112
17-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi,

I make regular orders from China and Hong Kong, as you will agree the biggest issue is verifying the business you are dealing with. Not only that payment, delivery and counterfeit is also something to worry about.

To keep it simple for you

If your planning to buy big USE an outsourcing agent, they offer advice and could get someone to find out if it's legit in person.

Do not pay into someones account, if they are legit they will have a business account. Alot of them accept T/T and Western union this does not benefit the buyer in anyway. Ask if you can use Paypal or Escrow as this gives the buyer more reasurance the goods will arrive.

Customs is very strict on branded goods, especially when using DHL or FEDEX, as it's being China the seller will ask you to use EMS(from experience). If the seller is selling you branded goods they should have authority to sell on behalf of the BRAND a certificate of some sort, 99% of the times buying branded goods from China are fake so keep your eyes peeled.

Sellers from China try to send thier goods out as 'gifts' to avoid expenses on thier end, this is a problem especially if you have placed an order with X amounts of units and is blatently not a gift, this can give the reciever a head ache.

Things you can do to verify
1. Do they have a website? how long has it been up for? Do an Alexas Report.
2. Google and try to find any review, you will be suprised what comes up.
3. Ask for documentations relevant to the order.
4. Check if the addresses match up.
5. Find an outsourcing agent that specializes in verifying sellers in China.

If the seller disagrees to any of the above, do not bother and move on to another.

Good luck and I hope you fount the above interesting.

PS...Sorry for the bad pun!

Mo

mrtadebayo
17-08-2009, 06:37 PM
thanks for that advice, what do you buy from there?...

mo112
17-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I buy electrical repair parts for mobile phones such as lcd's, mother boards and other parts.

missfituk
17-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi my Miss Fit products are manufactured in China, and so the only thing I would add to the above is that payment by LC reduces your risk by quite a lot. This ensures that your good are indeed sent, as the seller wont get paid until the shipment is landed, however is wouldnt protect you against the quality of the contents.

Paypal is good, but since it costs the seller about 3.4% or something like that, they are usually reluctant to use that payment method. With my manufacturer I insisted on paypal for the first 2-3 shipments (I offered to add the 3.4% to my invoice) until Id built up a relationship and now I pay by TT.

x

Baldykev
17-08-2009, 08:34 PM
China is a mine field of things to worry about

From my experiance a lot of people promise a lot to secure any buisness - they worry about how they are going to do it afterwards.

Personnaly I have found to secure an agent is the best way, and build up a personnal relationship with them.

Jack is my agent and we are now going in to buisness to-gether as partners.

How did i find him?

Basicaly looking for agents on line, reading thier stuff and e-mailing them asking questions. Then I choose the one i could communicate best with, placed small orders and asked about other stuff i wanted or was interested in. An agent should look after YOUR interests, so look for the ones that will go that bit further for you.

Jack visited many factories for me and acted as the negotiator to make sure the detail of the products was fully understood by the factory...and I am sure he got a % of some orders from the factories, but he delivered the products, the quality and the price.

So find a guy you can communicate with and start with small orders stating clearly you are looking for a reliable supplier and once you find that supplier qunatities will increase

As said use paypal for 1st couple of orders, again be up front and say why...remember you are a customer and if they cannot accomidate your needs then they wont have your long term custom in mind

So slowly slowly cachie monkey....definatley dont jump in with both feet

If you need anything checking out let me know..not promising anything but Jack covers most things and knows who's who

Baldy

mrtadebayo
17-08-2009, 10:10 PM
would it be worth traveling over there in person to meet with them face to face?