PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a bar?

MASTERFOX
28-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a new member so thought I would see who else is thinking about or has already opened their own bar, restaurant or nightclub?

I managed an independent student bar at Uni for three years and made it very successful. I believe that with the right location I could adapt the bar to a city centre environment. Does anyone have any experience in this field who could give me some advice? Mainly with financing as I am newly graduated and have limited funds.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best,,

Jonathan Fox

ekinnee
29-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Jonathan,
First off, welcome to LiveWIRE! This forum is made up of a great community of entrepreneurs who are always ready to lend help and advice. I'd suggest first going into My Business Kit (http://www.shell-livewire.org/my-business-kit/preview) and selecting the 'Public House' Business Opportunity Profile. This will give you a great overview of the basics of setting up a pub/bar. There is also a very helpful PDF in this section that takes you through the writing of your first business plan. You might also want to take a look at our Business Library (www.shell-livewire.org/business-library) for guidance and links to a lot of other useful websites and resources.

Hope this helps!

ALT
30-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum!

Erin gave you some good advice above. The business Opportunity Profiles are really quite detailed and helpful.

I would definitely recommend making an appointment with your local Business Link (Business Gateway if you are based in Scotland) advisor www.bgateway.com They will be able to help you put together a business plan and usually have a list of local properties that are available and may be suitable for your venture.

Best wishes,

Anna