PDA

View Full Version : How do I see what type of memory i have?

kermey
16-12-2003, 12:53 PM
How do you find out what type of Memory you have in Windows XP? Ive looked in "System" but cant find it. Any ideas?

hirstys
16-12-2003, 12:55 PM
You cannot tell from within Windows. you can visually check by loking at the number of pins on the DIMM on the motherboard if you take the cover off.

Alternatively, your BIOS may specify...?

J

Designr
16-12-2003, 01:30 PM
You could also try this link: http://www.crucial.com/support/belarc_download.asp It's from crucial. If you download and install it, it will give you a break down of your PC. (Software, Memory modules, CPU...etc)

Jay
Design R Web Solutions

hirstys
16-12-2003, 01:38 PM
itemise the flavour of memory, speed and type though e.g. Sram Dram 32 pin, 72 pin, 100mhz, 66mhz, etc???

Designr
16-12-2003, 02:45 PM
I don't think it gives you such detailed information. The best way is to open your tower and check the actual RAM there. It will have all the details you need.

Jay
Design R Web Solutions

peekaboo
16-12-2003, 03:09 PM
I don't know if its the same for you but when i first boot my PC up, if you look carefully it will tell you how much ram, hard drive size etc then it will begin booting up windows, I hope i've made this clear enough?

Regards
Brett White

Martin
16-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by marginex
I don't know if its the same for you but when i first boot my PC up, if you look carefully it will tell you how much ram, hard drive size etc then it will begin booting up windows, I hope i've made this clear enough?

Regards
Brett White

Thats correct..

Most Bios bootups will say , for example

128mb SDRAM

Altho, they may also say the ram size in a longer format . But only take a screwdriver and 5 mins taking the lid off to check.. Most even have a sticker saying what type of ram it is.

Best of luck
(And remember to unplug the computer before opening dispite what some people say. Static breakage over electricution just ain't worth the risk. lol)

nemesis
17-12-2003, 12:41 AM
hi simon. i see you were trying to reach me so if its in the system i provided it s a single stick of crucial pc2100 168 pin dimm

if its not shouldnt sisoft sandra tell you? havent tried it before but you could try that

kermey
17-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone - I got it :)