PDA

View Full Version : Round The World on a Motorbike (OT?)

farley
29-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi all

Next year I'm planning to take 6 months off work to go poodling round europe or possibly south america on my motorbike. (ultimately the destination depends on funds)

As I'm getting deeper ino the planning stages I'm starting to have silly ideas about not stopping after 6 months but to continue until I feel ready to return home.....

While most non-biker types will be aware of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's "Long Way Round" & "Long Way Down" trips, others of you may have heard of motorbike journies made by Ted Simon, Lois Pryce or perhaps Dan Walsh? These guys made their trips solo and with the exception of Dan Walsh had a definite strat and end to their journies. Mr Walsh managed to remain travelling because he is a motorcycle journalist with a loyal cult following of readers who would buy Bike magazine every month solely to read about the latest leg of his travels.

Can you guess where this is leading? :-) I'm not bad at writing and can take acceptable photos, but I feel if I were to try to pitch my journey to magazines, I would need some sort of unique edge to my trip to make it stand out among the myriad of fellow overland travellers telling their stories. I'm off sick today with a raging toothache and can barely think straight, so any ideas of how I could make my trip stand out would be mucho greatly received!

Perhaps someone can suggest an alternative way I could try to make some dinero on my travels? I have considered odd jobbing on my way round but I'm fairly sure that the locals will be a lot more resourceful than us pampered westerners, though maybe I could find work labouring on farms on the way round. The sole need of the money is to pay for fuel, food and the occasional room.

Finally before any of you say its a ridiculous idea, let me tell you there's no need to. I know it is! But if theres a glimmer of hope of making it work, I'm going to give it a bloody good try. I also realise that a more realistic alternative would be to complete a section of the trip before returning home to earn money for the next leg. This is probably my most likely option, but if possible the little hobo in me would like to just keep on rolling.....

Brainstorm away!!! :-D

Cheers

Farley

ps if you doubt whether this is a business related question, you probably have a very valid point! But I know of fewer places where so many good ideas fly around on a regular basis!

D9ENTERTAINMENT
29-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Flattery will get you every where farley ,

Right why dont you try some sponsors maybe try some petrol companies who have bases where your going and chain hotels.

Instead of getting money see if you can get product they favour this alot more

farley
29-01-2009, 09:42 PM
hey thats a great idea d9. made me think maybe i could ride an eco friendly bike.....

not a push bike though!! :-D