PDA

View Full Version : Can you patent a bag design?

go4it
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Need some help..

I've designed a bag. Nothing special, very simple. I've done some research and have not come across anything similar yet. It is however such a simple bag there must be another version of it.

The bag serves a particular purpose but I am thinking that there is no point trying to protect the idea. Even if there is some chance I will protect it, surely someone else will come along with a couple of modifications / different size etc.

Am I right in this thinking?

I have had the bag produced and am ready to put it on the market. I had the bag designed specifically for me, it was not on the manufacturers website. Would I be reasonable in saying to the company that I want exclusivity on the design? Again I am thinking that once people see the bag they will contact companies asking for it to be produced.

Mr.T
09-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Iím no patent expert, but I think that if it is just the way the bag is made/designed ie the way it is stitched together you wonít be able to patent it, however if you have designed some sort of unique clasp then you can patent that part of it.

Also from reading about patents here http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073791317
You may be too late, you need to get your supplier to sign a non disclosure agreement before you give them the designs, if you havenít done this and they have already manufactured it, they may be able to re-produce it with your authorisation.