PDA

View Full Version : Donations in return for advertising space

Redbandit
07-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I have managed to sell advertisng space in my new magazine, but it is only the cheaper spaces, and does not near cover my publication costs.

I was thinking that contacting companies offering advertising space in exchange for a negotiated fee or even a donation would be a good idea, as I think a lot of businesses are scepticle of spending money on advertisng that has not yet been tested.

I know the magazine is going to be very successful, and 5000 copies of issue 1 will definately be handed out even if I have to borrow the money. My advertising rates are already the cheapest on the market and I am currently using a BOGOF strategy to entise them. (Although I am not sure if my email marketing is very good.)

Does anyone have advice on whether this idea would work or would it make my magazine look less apealing to potential advertisers.

Thank you

QuikShop
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Give away your spare advertising space as a loss leader to appropriate businesses in order to a) prove your publications concept as a marketing-led revenue stream, and b) to fill your pages.

In fact, you could tie in a months free advertising to businesses that take out a 3 or 6 month advert run as an introductory offer?

go4it
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
offer a month free on a limited trial circulation.

If a success, people will be contacting the advertiserts for whatever they are selling.

You put it back to the advertisers, trial run a success, now increasing publication, cost is X per 3/6/9/12 months.

So many magazines out there, yours has got to be the one that gets results.

shamrocker
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I can sepak from personal experience when it comes to advertising in magazines. I used to get about 10 calls a week from different companies selling advertising space. I always said NO! I used to get quite peeved by some of their claims and promises. In fact we just don't pay to advertise anywhere anymore, I'd rather spend the money on targeting our current customer base by sending out mailshots, etc.

Now, if a company phoned me up and offered free advertising for an issue or two with no obligation to continue afterwards and they promised not to phone me up every other day asking me to take up the paid advertising I'd probably give it a shot. If that company produced their advertisements in such a way that when a customer contacts me through having seen the advertisement and somehow informs me that their interest has been created by our recent advertisement in X Mag, and then at the end of the month I can say we generated x via X Mag, I'd definitely give serious consideration to paying for advertising in future.

You need to be able to quantify the results. Any switched on business who pays for advertising should be able to justify the outlay by showing the results. As a provider, if you can prove to potential clients that money spent on advertising in your mag is money well spent, you will find it much easier getting a continuous flow of subscribers. I may mean giving it away initially, but could pay dividends in the future. Of course, you would need full belief in your own product in that it will achieve good readership and will bring results for paying advertisers, otherwise they'll soon drop off and the whole thing could fail if advertising makes up a substantial part of your income.

xs
07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
For a first issue offering free advertising is going to be the best option in my opinion. It could get some larger companies in the magazine and it will certainly look better and give it more credibility when you come to start selling advertising for future issues.

Perhaps having cut out vouchers could be a way of making sure advertisers know that customers are going to them in response to the advert in your magazine.

Similarly, automatically swtich off to anyone who calls to sell me advertising. Especially when in the past they say how well known the service or publication is and I either don't get it or have never heard of it.

Good luck, I think running this type of magazine is a lot of work for the money it can make.

Redbandit
08-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I realy do not want to give away space totaly free as most banks will not give me a loan to cover more than half the cost involved.

From your perspective as business people would you purchace space in a new magazine if the rates were realy cheap. Like 70 for a double A4 page spread and 20 for a quarter page?