View Full Version : Declaration of self employment form (HMRC)

11-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm in the process of completing the self employment form that needs to be send to HMRC. One of the fields is titled "Business Address", the place where my business will be based is my home address as I will be using my bedroom to manage my website and run my busuiness, it shall retain it's use as a bedroom though. Will it be okay to write my home address as the 'business address"? and does it have any legal affect on the state of the property? As it is my parents who own the house I'm weary of what I do.

The form that I'm taking about can be found here -


11-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about putting your home address...

Loads more information about working from home (tax, insurance etc etc) is available from Business Link: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.l1=1073858799&topicId=1073960216&r.l2=1073877897&r.s=tl

Hope that helps you,


14-01-2008, 11:10 AM
2 things.
1. By self employment do you mean prostitution?
2. Never give your name or address to people, if they know that they can control you with voodoo. :O

14-01-2008, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ponchog

1. By self employment do you mean prostitution?

Do you mean 'fully inclusive massage'?

Again, just to repeat what I have posted on your other thread - please ensure any future comments contain a hint of seriousness. Your adventurous imagination could take you far if you channel it in the right direction!

11-05-2016, 09:40 AM
When you started your business from your home, have you taken the permission from below mentioned authorities :-

-Landlord, if you are tenant.
-local planning office - e.g if you’re planning on making major alterations to your home
-local council - e.g if you’re going to get lots of customers or deliveries, you want to advertise outside your home or if you need a licence to run your business.

If you are following the above mentioned requirements then in that case you can certainly mention your home as your business address. When I started my business from home, I had also taken the permission from local planning office and since then my business address in my tax returns is my home address. If are not satisfied with the reply, you can also contact HMRC customer service here http://qwikfix.co.uk/hmrc-contact-number/. They will certainly solve your problem.

The Accounting Studio
21-04-2017, 02:35 PM
You should be fine. As long as you are not renting from them for exclusive business purposes (ie you bedroom is for you sleeping in as well as business purposes) they will retain their principle private residence relief (ie not be subject to capital gains tax if they sell their property)