PDA

View Full Version : Help - stock control

totallydavid
03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi

Does anyone know of any software (pref free or v.cheap), database or accounts system driven to manage stock.

I'm looking for something can manage our food outlet with, place ingredients to products (ie; one piece of bread, plus slice of ham = ham sandwich) entering a sale of that item would take stock off of the ham and the bread, and then create weekly reports of stock on hand that could then adjust when completing weekly stock take to see losses etc

Sure there was an accounting package that did this but have no idea which one, and where my disk for it has gone.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers
dave

James Smith
04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Dave,

Pretty much all the mainline accounting packages have a decent stock system, however I question why you would want this level of detail in your accounting package for something like a sandwich shop - surely you just account for everything as a consumable and do a stock take whenever you need to draw up accurate accounts (eg year end, or monthly if stock levels vary a lot and you need a good handle on it). If you do more than just sandwiches, ie have lots of longer term stock (ie not just fresh sandwich making ingredients - not really sure what you are up to I know it was kids parties at one point) you could have a proper system in place, but I would certainly link it through an EPOS till of you will spend a huge amount of time keying data into software.

I would talk it through with your accountant, assuming they are decent they should be able to help you design a system that is appropriate for your management information needs whilst not being to onerous to operate.

Hope that helps

Regards,

webprojectuk
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Personally I think keeping track of your stock is essential part for success of any business. I have invested in bespoke software developed in php and mysql, which can be easily adopted as the business, grows. I have looked on the off-self packages but itís hard to match such software to each individual business. The business model will change all the time so itís essential for the software to do the same.

So, maybe speak to few developers and see if they can develop a basic package (low cost) on which you can develop as and when you need to..