PDA

View Full Version : Takeaway directory

douggy
21-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Alright,
I had an idea about producing a takeaway directory for my area (Portsmouth). We get so many flyers through the door from various takeaways, I thought it would be handy for people to have them printed in one directory. On the other hand would say 10 different Chinese/pizza/Indians be interested in being fighting for business in one directory? Has anyone heard of something like this (not online like Hungryhouse) , a good idea or not?

openmind
21-11-2007, 09:27 PM
In my mind it would YAD*

Competition is fierce and if I wanted a takeaway I go to the phone book first....

* Taken from the openmind book of acronyms, Yet Another Directory ;)

douggy
21-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Hello Phil,
when I say directory I mean like a page for each takeaway including a menu, not just ads with phone numbers
cheers

openmind
21-11-2007, 09:38 PM
OK you're creating a bit more of a niche for yourself now which is great. You will have think laterally about this idea as the whole directory thing has been done to death and you're going to have to find new and unique ways to differentiate yourself from the competition.

How were you planning to do this apart from the page per takeaway idea?

douggy
21-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I know what you mean, I need a good incentive for them to advertise in it. I just thought the initial idea seemede really good but I can't think of anything to add to it! My basic idea is some sort of niche publication which advertisers would love to advertise in! I've contacted a few publishers of local mags/directories and by all accounts it's very hard to get advertisers.

walter
21-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I think it would need to be pocket size so it is different from run of the mill phone book

openmind
21-11-2007, 10:21 PM
How about developing it on a WAP/Mobile basis as opposed to just being on the web?

Martin
21-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Hard nut to crack... Like the company on Dragons Den this week they're other websites listing Takeaways but also allowing you to order directly from the website.

I'd perhaps list those sites allowing you to order, and possibly grab an affiliate commission. (If available)

SeanG
22-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Douggy

I like the idea! Saves poking around looking for different takeaway menus.

Would also possibly save takeaways money producing and delivering menus.

Have you done any costings out for this yet?

I might think about doing this myself. Different area of course.

Sean

Littleloz133
22-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I think it's a great idea - why not attach a magnet to the back of the directory so it can be kept on the fridge to be found easily - this works well with my local area book which lists everything from plumbers to restaurants and it is always on the fridge of nearly every house I go in to! This would work brilliantly for student houses too.

Fwd
22-11-2007, 03:02 PM
OKay,

Have you thought about how much it cost to print xxxxx amount of these?
How much to distribute?
How much to attach the little magnet thing to the back (optional)

First look into these....then do some market research...is there demand? then you will have the answer.

You cannot expect to come on here and someone to get "yeah, go for it"...and then everything is gonna be OK.

Do you homework.