PDA

View Full Version : Business Name

gregfindley.com
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

I have been a member of the forums for a while, under the username gregfindley.com, which was also my trading name as a freelance designer.

I am planning to start my own design company in 2008, under the name of Story Creative, just wondered what everyone thought of the name really? As although I really like it, its not yet 'set in stone' so would be useful to get some feedback.

Essentially we will be a graphic design agency offering logos and branding, print design and web design, and as the name suggests we will be focused on communicating our clients story through creative design.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Greg

JustOneUK
08-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by gregfindley.com
Story Creative

Hi Greg,
I don't like the name for a Design company. It doesn't really suit it.

My 2 c's

regards.........

QuikShop
08-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Apparently the best brands contain no more than three syllables or if more than one word then each word has the same number of syllables - something to do with the rythym of reading (don't ask me why!).

I think Story Creative is imaginative but what message are you trying to get across? The word story to me immediately throws up pictures of books or some old dear on a rocking chair in a tweed outfit reading to kids in front of an open fire :D

VLAHAKISA
08-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I like the idea but think you should think of a different word for Creative because this has been done to death by other design firms. So many firms are called 'xxx Creative'

I can see the reason for 'story' - one would expect creative designs to tell a story to their target market...to 'speak to them'

Amanda

Phil
08-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Makes me think you're a writer :( or at a stretch, someone who does illustrations for books

bluecube
08-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I'll speak in Greg's absence, i believe it means that he will help tell your story through design.

gregfindley.com
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

My aim with the name was to have a blend between a descriptive name such as ABC Design Company and something completely unrelated like Purple Zebra.

The reasoning behind Story Creative, was as Nathan mentioned (thanks Nathan!) to communicate the fact that as a design company we will strive to understand your company, its values and USP's and essentially tell your story.

After all people remember stories.

Amanda- Thats a very good point, but at the same time, many companies have X Media, or X Design, I'm not sure what other options there are for adding to Story and still communicating design/creative services. Something to research any how!! ;)

Thanks,
Greg

level200
09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I have a funky domain wanting a new home if your interested.

www.volbe.com

gregfindley.com
09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the offer level200, but probably looking to steer clear of completely unrelated/random names,

Thanks,
Greg

NickH
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi greg,
I like the name.

As others said, the reader does immediatly get drawn to the "story" part of the name, but if your idea is to create designs that tell a story, then thats fine i think.

Of the top of my head name suggestion: Get Across Studios? Get your clients over the bridge of finding effective design, get their message across.. lol as above, just my 2c.

James Smith
09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Why not use your name as you are currently?

Ive always thought it builds trust to use your own name as the branding, especially for a service business. You can always have "associates" or similar if bringing other people into it.

If anything this will make you stand out more against the plethora of "fancy" names that seem to be in vogue at the moment for this type of company.

VLAHAKISA
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree Greg many companies do have X Media, or X Design, but I would avoid making those a core component of your name also :)

What I think is that if you are going to say you are 'creative' it doesn't really evidence this by using the same company extension that millions of other designers also use already.

It almost an ironic company name if you know what I mean?

Amanda

gregfindley.com
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi James, I wanted to move away from my own name company, as I feel it will communicate the sense of a company as oppose to a freelancer as I have been, not to say there is anything negative in being a freelancer, I just feel I will be able to do more with my own branding and marketing.

Amanda, when you put it like that I can see exactly what you mean!! This is a tough one!

Thanks,
Greg

VLAHAKISA
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Naming a business is always tough, maybe this blog I wrote will help you focus;

http://trulyace.com/blog/?p=54

Either that or confuse you more ;)

Best Wishes

Amanda

gregfindley.com
09-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks Amanda,

Its funny you posted that link as I just found it a few minutes ago! Yep.. I've been reading the entire archive of your blog :)

Gentleman & Van is genius ;)

Now I'm just waiting for a sudden hit of inspiration!

VLAHAKISA
09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
It is a great name isn't it - really inspired.

I was frantically photographing the van with my husband leveling next to it on the motorway going 'hurry up, hurry up!'

Amanda

gregfindley.com
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes its so incredibly simple, but so effective!

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who looks at every van and its logo on my journeys! :D Unfortunately I'm usually driving so no time for pics.

gregfindley.com
15-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I have come to a decision :)
My new company name will be.... (drum roll)....

StoryDesigners

Its not as common as 'design' or 'creative' still holds the theme of designing as a narrative and communicating company brand stories, and hopefully doesn't leave any confusion about what it is we will be doing.

Hope you like it, as ever feedback is appreciated,
Thanks, Greg