PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market

Pavanjot
03-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Anyone out there into the stock market? I'm looking to go into spread betting, anyone got any advice?

austin
03-08-2002, 07:25 PM
I have some experience of the stock market but I don't do spread betting.
Have you heard of:
www.trade2win.co.uk
www.virtualbizz.com/ififorums/

very good sites I have learnt from

best wishes

Austin

Pavanjot
03-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Cheers Austin, I found both sites interesting. You mentioned that you're into Stocks & Shares, may I ask what strategy you go for? e.g. growth, income etc?
I personally go for income - i'm shifting (or trying to) switch all my portfolio into companies which pay high dividends, e.g. Scottish Power, BP, and a few smaller companies.

Good Luck!

PS, may I ask how much you invest in a company? e.g. 1,000, 2,000 etc. I currently invest about 1,000 per company.

austin
05-08-2002, 02:04 PM
My strategy is a mixture of value and growth. I'm into long term stuff at the moment that is selling below it's worth, and also is likely to exhibit growth. I will email my criteria if you like.

As to how much to invest, it's best to own a small number of stocks- especially if you are investing a small amount of money. Otherwise your gains will be lost in brokers fees.

eg if you had 5000 and invested it in 10 companies, and fortunately they all grew 10%. If a transaction costs 10
Buying and selling each stock would cost you 200 and your gain would be 5500 - 200 =5300
If you invested 5000 in two companies that grew 10% you would make
5500 - 40 =5460
So don't split your capital into to many companies.

If you don't need a stream of income (ie you have a job or something) then I think you will make more money if you go for a "long term growth".

I forgot to mention www.motleyfool.co.uk (loads of discussion boards and info)
I like "The Zulu Principle" by Jim Slater (UK book) or one of the motley fool guides they are simple and worth a read.

best wishes
Austin

Dedsoldya
19-08-2002, 07:15 PM
forget all that, go into unit trusts, at this moment in time they are a lot safer bet, instead of investing in one company and potentially losing all your money in a crash you go with a unit trust company, the company is run by a fund manager whi will invest in many different companies not just one. Anthony Bolton who runs fidelity special situations, amongst others is one of the best, also Nigel thomas at abn amro.

austin
20-08-2002, 08:26 AM
Unit trusts are best if you know little about the stock market, or you can't be bothered to learn. However don't fool yourself about their safety. Unit trusts like the stock market are risky and many have lost money.
They are ok if you want diversification, but year in year out private many private investors (like me) make much more by having full control over their assets. You can take control of your own portfolio and be able to make your own investment decisions. I would much rather learn how to beat the market, and have a skill that will serve me well for my entire life than leave it in a unit trust and forget about it.

It depends on what you want, what your background is, what you attitude to risk is and above all if you are interested in investment and want to learn how to do it yourself (how do you think those fund managers got started?)

So don't just "forget all that". Make an educated decision.

Regards
Austin

check out www.trustnet.com

Pavanjot
22-08-2002, 12:32 AM
I agree with you, Austin. I prefer to have full control over where to invest my money. I do have a few unit trusts, but prefer to invest in companies I 'like' or feel are undervalued. Also, if the shares rise in value, it gives me more satisfaction knowing that you don't have to have a degree from Cambridge or Oxford to know how the stock market works. Anyway, happy investing and good luck!!

austin
22-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Yes it's great isn't it!

Except when you get it wrong which you are bound to on a least one occasion. (the trick is to get out and cut your loss)

The hardest part is to put a value on a company. The shortcuts can often be misleading

What's your option of the present market?

good luck

Pavanjot
23-08-2002, 12:26 AM
We all make mistakes, it's a fact of life. the only problem when you're making a profit, is knowing when to get out. But there's greed. You just want the price to climb higher than Everest, but the problem is it'll go the opposite way as well. Look what happened with Tech stocks. My current view of the market? Should continue to rise, provided no big plc comes up dodgy accounts.

PS, Austin, where do you think the FTSE100 will be on New Year's Eve? My guess is about 4900 - 5100. Good Luck!!

austin
24-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Every day without fail there is some jornalist or analist moaning about how bad the economy forecasts are. Because of that everyone is really miserable about the FTSE 100
I don't think it will breakout for a bit, but will pickup towards the end of the year.

I'm going for 4932

http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/interactivecharting.asp?subtab=1&FTSite=FTCOM&q=1805550&t=&s1=&s2=uk&extelID=&ticker=UK%3A1805550&company=NEW&ftep=&isin=&sedol=&symb=1805550&countrycode=uk

Dedsoldya
01-09-2002, 03:03 PM
unit trusts are not for people who dont want to learn about the stock market, they are for clever people who realise that times are bad and the safest option would be a unit trust and probably one of the few ways to make money, however if you do want to gamble on one company and dont mind losing all your money then go ahead. Fidelitys high income fund has risen 15.6% since september 11th, now you tell me if any single ftse 100 company or any other company has made that sort of gain. I wont be expecting a reply.

austin
01-09-2002, 05:58 PM
I didn't actually mean "for people who dont want to learn about the stock market" but I still maintain that relying apon them alone is not wise investment. (I have a unit trust myself!) If you read the post I was replying to it was giving the impression that putting all your money in a unit trust and forgetting about it is the best thing to do.

Ok so "Fidelitys high income fund has risen 15.6%" but I can name countless more funds that have lost money.

"however if you do want to gamble on one company and don't mind losing all your money "

Stock market investment should never be about gambling. Gambling is when you place money on a chance ecent happening. The stock market is about assesing risks, and knowing your stuff.

What i'm saying is that if you're serious about investing don't think that putting it all in a unit trust is the best thing to do.

Remember all investment is about opinion. It's the very reason stocks go up and down.

Dedsoldya
02-09-2002, 02:29 PM
i am not saying that you will lose by investing in one company, but it is safer at this moment in time to go into unit trusts. However investing in commodity stocks like gold would be an idea in these bad times, also tobacco stocks, gallahers has risen well since the economic disasters.

austin
03-09-2002, 12:57 PM
True, tobacco stocks do seem to survive (I guess the city problems make people resort to smoking!) Imperial Tobacco has been a favorite since earlier this year (IMP)

You can buy into a gold index fund if your into that, I know Merel Lynch started one eariler this year.

As to stocks not being safe- I'm not sure. The only thing that can follow a bear market is a bull market. When the prices are slashed that's the time to buy! (Just buy the right stuff(!)

I'm sorry I don't agree. Stocks are still a good long term investment. Look out for the bargins

good luck

sway
17-08-2006, 01:03 AM
hi, ive bought stocks into carphone wraehouse, centrica and game, carphone warehouse has been going pretty down lately, u guys think its gona come bak up?

TheJoshM
17-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Post being over 4 years old I don't think you'll get a reply.

sway
17-08-2006, 10:34 PM
well you replied

TheJoshM
18-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, but I'm not one of the original contributors to the thread, and as it was them that you were addressing it seemed sensible that you'd be expecting a reply from them rather than anyone else.

stevegibson
18-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Dedsoldya
unit trusts are not for people who dont want to learn about the stock market, they are for clever people who realise that times are bad and the safest option would be a unit trust

I would have thought that, "when times are bad", the "safest" option would be to be out of the market.

Why anyone would want to invest into a market they think could be falling is beyond me.

Fidelitys high income fund has risen 15.6% since september 11th, now you tell me if any single ftse 100 company or any other company has made that sort of gain. I wont be expecting a reply.

September 11th which year? Last year? 2001?

Doesn't matter, picked one stock out at random from the FT100:

Billiton:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BLT.L&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Was mid 800's 12 months ago, 1,028 now. That's over 15.6%.

Even bigger growth from 11/09/01

Just one FT100 stock, randomly chosen. Bet I could find loads more.

Steve

stevegibson
18-08-2006, 04:09 PM
oops, I didn't realise that this thread was a blast from the past!

Pawel
18-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi all

I used to invest in Poland and watching market here in UK, from time to time. Probabli will start new adventure with stocks, soon:)

Which stockbroker would you recommend, guys? Any website where I can compare different offers in one place?

So what that thread is old and dusty? Old threads always can be refreshed;)

sway
19-08-2006, 09:14 PM
erm i would say u can go on msn money or yahoo finance or motley fool to compare brokers.
im with barclays stock brokers which offer the cheapest out of all banks. but maybe am online broker will b cheaper