PDA

View Full Version : Delivery/Courier questions!

LozzaBaby
11-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Hi everybody,

I am still in the process of making my online store, but its going well know so time should not be too long. I just have a few questions remaining.

Firstly, for anyone who already has an online store, how do they deliver their items to their customers.

I could use Royal Mail, but others have suggested using couriers (Citylink etc) to deliver as they can do better deals or services, does anyone have any opinions of this??

Also to begin with I would like to be a sole trader, what are the rules and conditions to this?? Do I need to register a company name???

Thanks

Tweetie Pie
11-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi. I am using Royal Mail at the moment I've been trading for a few months but I do intend to change to a courier service as soon I know that the business is coming in steady because alot of these courier firms need minimum amounts of packages etc......plus I need to find the time to work out who's gonna be best for me!

As far as your name is concerned, you only have to register with companies house if you're a ltd company. If you're a sole trader it may be a good idea to check out www.yell.com to make sure that there is noone with the same name as you - not because of law but because it will benefit you if you have an individual name. Also you can't copy the name of anyone listed at companies house so check that site too. You DO however, have to list your personal name and trading address on all business cards, invoices, letterheads etc and if you open a shops your name has to be above the door i.e "Jo Bloggs, Proprietor"

HTH

buckrogers
16-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi,

Depends really on the size and qty's and destination of your packets. I am also setting up an online shop, so I have looked into this quite a bit.

If they are small packets, RM offer a postal packet service.

Larger / Heavier then a couirer or RM special delivery may be better.

Parcel Force are worth having a look at, you can get a discount of 35% if your monthly invoice from them is 500 plus.

Some couirers will not deliver to home address, so this should be the first question you ask when speaking to them.

Regards