PDA

View Full Version : Offered aTrade Account

downoutdoorstore
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I recently got offered a trade account for brilliant windsurfing brands. Currently there are litteraly no windsurfing shops in NI so having a trade account will really benefit me.

Problem is tho....
They asked for 3 or 4 trade references! All the products I have on my website have been bought straight from distributors. As a result I don't know what I could do with regards to the references.

Any 1 else ever been here?
Please help

Thanks
Mick

Martin
12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah don't be too disheartened by this - its just to check you are who you say you are.

Explain the situation to the supplier - its more than likely that this has cropped up for them before. (Just with both positive and negitive outcomes!)

If you have set up a business bank account, you could ask them to put down in writing your good for credit etc..

If you've been dealing with any 3rd party - Princes Trust mentor for example, again it just adds "weight" that your setting up as a proper legit business.

Show them all the expenses from setting up the business - again if they can see your spending money on starting up then your not a fly-by-night who will disappear with their stock.

If you can't find 3-4 ref's ... Just say so, and mention your in this for the long term and if needs be you'll pay upfront for the first X orders so that a relationship can be built.

Its not unknown for some suppliers to act like idiots when dealing with new businesses but most will warmly welcome you.

Hope it helps...

downoutdoorstore
12-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks,

They are eager for me to supply Northern Ireland with gear as theres no one here and its a win win for all parties.

They have let me sell the products even though im a sole trader and not VAT registered and have no premesis (yet)

I have loadsa invoices and business bank account.
I could try and sort something out. Just explain things to them.

eco2you
12-08-2007, 02:16 PM
I get where your coming from, a couple of my suppliers wanted the referenbces etc.

I explained I have just set up with Princes Trust, that I don't have any supplier references, but that I'd really, really like to stock their amazing product, and that i'm very happy to pay up front.

Seems to be ok so far :)

downoutdoorstore
12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi Eco,

Are they happy enough with that? How long have you been with them now? The products we are selling are expensive.
I emailed them therenow and hopefully they will allow us to continue with the application.

Thanks Guys.

eco2you
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by downoutdoorstore
Hi Eco,

Are they happy enough with that? How long have you been with them now? The products we are selling are expensive.
I emailed them therenow and hopefully they will allow us to continue with the application.

Thanks Guys.

I haven't even bought off them yet :)

I guess the maximum value for wholesale per unit would be about 45 per unit I guess, but I can order up to 120 units at a time.

If I had the cash/customers that is, hahaha!