PDA

View Full Version : Do mods check the IP numbers?

Sunee
18-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Firstly, I would have sent this message via the PM system, however we don't have one ;)

The threads entitled 'How about this T-shirt for my boyfriend?' and 'the devial wears prada' were posted by different users, however, I feel they were both done by the same individual.

The links appearing in their posts are similar (in-brands etc.)

Makes me wonder if spammers are bypassing the double strike rule by having additional LiveWIRE accounts? :(

cmrule
18-07-2007, 01:00 PM
i have also wondered why IP addresses cant just be blocked.... perhaps its too much effort.

Rachael
18-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I know when Sharon used to do the banned lists the IP addresses were listed. I don't think that the mods can access that information themselves an email has to be sent to admin.

shamrocker
18-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Sunee
Firstly, I would have sent this message via the PM system, however we don't have one ;)

The threads entitled 'How about this T-shirt for my boyfriend?' and 'the devial wears prada' were posted by different users, however, I feel they were both done by the same individual.

The links appearing in their posts are similar (in-brands etc.)

Makes me wonder if spammers are bypassing the double strike rule by having additional LiveWIRE accounts? :(

Laura,

Banning someone is done manually. I've only just been told how to do it, but Widgey has banned this particular person in the meantime. Some of the inappropriate posts were dealt with by me, but because I was unfamilair with the banning process at that time they got a few extra lives.

TheJoshM
18-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Shane,

I think what Laura was getting at was that rather than banning the user name Livewire should be banning the IP address associated with that username. (basically the individual address of the users computer)

This would ensure that the banned user doesn't just set-up another account and post again... and again... and again etc.

shamrocker
18-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I see what you mean now. I'm not sure will certainly try to find out.